The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision - 11th Gen?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by bodeg, Oct 1, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodeg

bodeg Newbie

Reputations:
    This may be a silly question - so I'll apologize in advance ))

I own a Dell Precision M6800 and it is the time for upgrade, probably to 7750.

I read that Intel just released the 11th gen.

Is that mean that we are expecting for a new Precision serious soon? 7760?
    Or that 11th gen is relevant only for ultra books?

Thanks for your advice.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Intel released some lower-end 11th gen Tiger Lake CPUs. For Precision, we need to see Tiger Lake H-series CPUs and Tiger Lake Xeon CPUs.

I imagine that the timeline will be something like...
    * Tiger Lake H series formally announced or hyped up at CES in January.
    * A few CPU models are available in April 2021 and we see them in systems like Alienware.
    * The full lineup isn't available until May/June and that is when we see Precision 7760.

(This would basically be the same timeline as last year with 10th gen, though then we had a split between Ice Lake and Comet Lake. 10th gen Ice Lake CPUs for low-end laptops were released at about this time in 2019.)

If you can stand to wait then I would recommend it. Tiger Lake will be the first CPU architecture transition for the Precision 7000 line really since Skylake (6th gen / 7710)... They've basically just been tacking on CPU cores and making minor adjustments since then. Tiger Lake should bring a larger performance/efficiency boost than what we have seen in the interim. (Plus, 7760 should also have Ampere Quadro cards available.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Rokobo, alexhawker and etern4l like this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Was poking around at leaks and noticed something interesting.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...-Wi-Fi-6E-and-PCIe-Gen5-support.496197.0.html

This page details some Tiger Lake H (2021 / Precision 7760) and also Alder Lake (2022 / Precision 7770).

I was looking at the PCIe bits in particular.

For Tiger Lake H, it looks like the CPU will offer 20 PCIe4 lanes, while the PCH will offer 24 PCIe3 lanes. If this is the case, Dell will almost certainly use 16 of the 20 PCIe4 lanes for the dGPU, which means it might be the case that only one of the NVMe slots gets PCIe4 (or maybe none of them if those remaining 4 lanes get used for something else).

Sort of similar story for Alder Lake S. (Which looks like it could be a notebook part, as it is BGA? ...And P series is something new? Naming scheme shake-up might be coming.) It has 16 PCIe5 lanes + 4 PCIe4 lanes off of the CPU, and 16 PCIe4 lanes and 12 PCIe3 lanes off of the PCH. That would be enough to have four NVMe slots operating with PCIe4 (but maybe not if you also want two Thunderbolt ports operating at PCIe4 as well).

We'll see if it pans out. Anyway, the idea of mixed PCIe3 and PCIe4 (and PCIe5) for a while hadn't really occurred to me, because we've been stuck with everything on PCIe3 for so long. When PCIe4 rolls out in a system, it might not mean that all components have access to the high bandwidth.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.