The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 5520 - Any Issues Before I buy?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Rokobo, Sep 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rokobo

Rokobo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I am offered a Dell Precision 5520 , i7-7820HQ 2.9GHz, 500GB NVMe, 32GB RAM , FHD, M1200 for $800. This is for trading (TOS, CQG, Excel).

I am also offered HP Zbook Studio G5, i7-8750H, 16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K DreamColor, P1000 for $1000, but I have experience with UHD on laptops, readability, power, heat, etc.

For me stability asnd dependability trump anything else. I heard that this particular Precision had some issues in the first year or two.

Anything I should be looking at or be aware of?

TIA

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The DELL is kinda too old for the price.
    At least, the CPU in the HP is newer, and comes with GPU, justifies for the price.

My suggestion?
    Go for something new. With Ryzen U-class CPU if ur work is not so demanding. New system comes with new batteries as well... The ThinkPad L15 and E15 comes to mind.
    If u require something that offers higher performance, get the most basic Legion5 with Ryzen 4600H, and expandable RAMs, bigger fresh batteries if u opt for dual M.2 SSD configuration. Price will be close to that of pre-owned HP Studio.

Rokobo likes this.
  3. Rokobo

Reputations:
    Thank you. My 2012 Precisiom M4700 - i5-3220M does everything without breaking a sweat. It just its age that I am worried about. My tasks are not demanding, actual trading is an easy one for computers. I have serious workstations for heavy data crunching, model testing, etc.

4. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmmm... Portability, High Demanding Workability...
    I still suggest that u go for the Ryzen based Legion5 which comes with not so fancy and "dull" professional desktop replacement aesthetics. This is the same model i had recommended to another buyer looking for a "serious work looking" laptop doing matlab. Again, by opting 2 M.2 SSD installation, u get a fat battery that comes with 80whr capacity. Good for non-deskbound work. Otherwise, u may hv to look for Asus Tuf Gaming A15 which is little costly, not easy to find, that packs with 90whr batt.

Rokobo likes this.
  5. Rokobo

Reputations:
    Answering a question myself: seems like a prevailing overheating is a problem to cancel it from being considered.

Added, a few weeks later. The seller let me ride it for a week, and I bought it. No overheating, not even a hint. At least in my application. No external screens, I use the WD15 dock though for the Ethernet.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.