The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7720 - Can I add a fingerprint reader?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by IT_Architect, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IT_Architect

IT_Architect Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My M6700 has one and I'd keep it forever if it could do TPM 2.0, which I want for Bitlocker. I was shopping for a used Dell Precision 7720 on eBay but only found one with a finger print scanner. Can I, and what do I have to buy to add one other than the palm rest and sensor?

Thanks!

2. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    P0DFJ is the dell part number for the palmrest with fingerprint reader. There are several on ebay right now ranging from $35-90.
    All you need to do is verify that fingerprint module and ribbon cable are installed on the underside. Then after it arrives, transplant any other absent hardware from your old palmrest over to the new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.