The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7740 Motherboard/CPU issue?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Kyle, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    Got a new 7740. When it first went to setup windows, it hung up.
    I did a hard reboot, same issue each time. Sometimes it would BSOD with an error code like "MACHINE CHECK_EXCEPTION", sometimes other error codes.
    I tried to do a fresh install off a USB stick, it copied the files from the USB stick fine, but then again when it rebooted it would hang. Once I was able to log in, but then again it hung up.

I did a bios diagnostics check, everytime it would get stuck in the RAM check phase, and the area around the power button would get REALLY hot.
    I ran memtest86 off a USB stick. Two times it got stuck at different points (test3 and test4). No RAM errors, memtest86 was just stuck. Powerbutton area did not get superhot however. The last time it was running, but I had to go home.

I booted linux off a USB stick, two times it got stuck, two times it was fine. But it could not detect the SSD.

This is a motherboard/CPU issue right?
    I have prosupportplus and the agent agreed to replace the machine.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This sounds like some kind of hardware issue (motherboard or RAM) and if the machine is new it should definitely just be replaced. Looks like you've got that sorted already. Kind of sad that this one made it through QC and got shipped out.

Kyle likes this.
  3. Kyle

Reputations:
    It was from their Outlet site, so that's unfortunate that it wasn't refurbished right.
    I've had good luck with outlet with previous precision purchases.
    The agent said it might take like a month to replace it, no worries, I'm not in a hurry. I guess better me than someone who would have really needed the machine now.

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If it's new then just return it and re-order. No sense in waiting a month for something that should work out of the box...

Kyle likes this.
  5. Kyle

Reputations:
    Unfortunately there isn't an equivalent system at the outlet site at the moment ...

6. tmarshallg

tmarshallg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What's your system config?

7. Kyle

Reputations:
    It has a i9-9980HK processor

84Lion likes this.
  8. coxhaus

coxhaus Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought one of those from the Dell's outlet site and it works great. I switched all the RAM over to 64 gig and 2 WD black M2 NVM SSD drives. I am now running Windows 10 2004. My 7740 runs memtest86 in 11 hours with no problems. I have the same processor the Intel i9-9989HK.

My unit came with 8 gig ram and a hard drive which I pulled all this stuff out.

9. Kyle

Reputations:
    I got the replacement machine. No issue, bios checks were all fine.
    The original config did not have a discrete GPU, the replacement one has Amd radeon pro wx 3200.
    Is there any benefit for this GPU on a system with i9-9980HK processor?

10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All of the dGPU choices have superior performance to the integrated Intel GPU, even the cheaper AMD ones.

Kyle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.