The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4300

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by acaurora, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weegie

Weegie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only differences between the Latitude D830 and Precision M4300.

A/the name on the plastic panel where the keyboard is

B/the trim on the outside of the lid,incl the black plastic bit that says "precision"

C/same video chip[Fx360M,NVS140] but with a different bios which is what makes the 360m the 360m,and enables openGL effects/stabilty/performance when running software like Solidworks,Maya,autodesk products..........computer aided design basically.

D/like you say,the WSXGA is truelife on the precision,after owning three precisions with matt screens [M65,M70,M60] I prefer the trulife on my vostro.

The cost of using certified products and drivers for the above software is why the precisions are more expensive than the latitudes.....you are paying for a guaranteed level of performance and stability with openGL software....to anybody who has used cad for a living,they will know the importance of this.

So unless you use openGL software,or really,really like the different trim on the precision,you will get exactly the same performance and build quality with the Latitude....which is superb.

Buy the Latitude....its cheaper.:)

Edit,I just saw your comment on the graphics NVS135m,if you don't use any graphical type software,get the nvs135m or the intel X3100 for even better battery life and cooler running.

2. Sir Joe

Sir Joe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah Ah Ah! Funny...
    Yes, sincerely, if I asked so much, it is because I had the same suspect of you.
    Anyway I must tell you that my dell agent makes me a price for the Precision that is very good. The M4300 costs me just 60 euro more than the D830 (with the 140M).
    Of course, if I will never use a open gl program, why do not save these 60 euro?
    About this, what is open gl and when should I use it?

3. Weegie

Weegie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL...soo many questions.

I would say the chances of you needing openGL certified performance in the next few years is none to zero.
    If you only have to pay another 60 euro for the precision,get it,and then you will be covered for the unlikely eventuality that you are going to take up computer aided design [CAD]

Like I said,I prefer the glossy screens now,some people don't,you will have trouble seeing any notebook screen outside or in a very brightly place,the matt will be better,but I think the trade off with the glossy's increased contrast more than makes up for it.
    WSXGA is fine for my 42 year old eyes,my M60 was a WUXGA,which I found to be pretty hard going,even with the dots per inch in the settings bumped up.

openGL is a open source graphics API that is the choice of most computer aided design and digital content creation software company's.
    Microsofts D3D graphics API is not open source,and is controlled by .....microsoft,D3D is the choice of most game makers these days,but you would probably find that almost all consumer products [cars,planes,ships,tv's,toasters] are designed on openGL software.
    Vista support of openGL is a one reason of the many,that I suggest people stay with XP.... a good wiki article comparing D3D and openGL.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_OpenGL_and_Direct3D

And a link to the software I used to use for engineering design and drafting,and is written to use the openGL graphics API.

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/products/swofficepro/SWOfficePremium.html

Yes you could flash the D830 to the M4300 bios....IF you had the "force type bios" command line instruction from dell to do it,I have seen it done on a M20/D610 but you have no reason to want to do it,and dell wouldn't tell you anyway.

I suggest you just get middle of the road components on the D830 for best value to euro,you could get faster T7700,and it would be better for video encoding,but in 4 years time it will all be a lot slower than what is available then,so why spend a heap more money for small benefits now and irrelevant benefits in a couple of years.

4. Sir Joe

Sir Joe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :eek:
    DO you mean that also the 135 and 140M can run opengl programs, but they just miss a peace of paper which certifies it? Or that I will not need opengl at all? Because I have read a little this wiki article, and I understood (well?) that Vista needs a opengl capable video card. And so I think that if this is the standard, the fx gives more life expectance to the notebook. I mean, the opengl is and will be used ONLY in professional graphic programs? or it can be the standard of many other things in the next years (3-4-5 years)?
    A 64bit XP or Vista, runs better with opengl video card or not?
    I also understood, in that article, that opengl give a better chance to improve performances by just installing new drivers or bios, while direct3d needs a chenge of hardware. So, if the fx is the only which runs opengl (if), isn't it the one with more life expectance?
    the difference is this if i configure the D830 with the 140M. But if I take the 135m it can be cheaper. And then, if it makes a sense and can be a more "life expectance" option I could afford a T7700 too.
    Ok, now I know the meaning of the name. But for what is it? When could I use it?
    I have found a poll by Lenovo (yes, very oredictable results, as Lenovo users are all office men!), and they say that most people prefer matte.
    The old matte toshiba satellite I am using now seem brighter then the newer glossy LG R1Pro I had for a while. The second had mor vivid colours, of course. i had no particular reflection, and once under the sunlight I was able to have no reflection, but I remember that at maximum power it was still dark. I wonder if it was due to glossy, but many people say that glossy are brighter...
    I wonder, if I put two identical screen side by side, one glossy and one matte, which would be the advantages and disadvantages of each in a favorable light environment? Which has got more viewing angle? Which is brighter?
    Also many people say that if one spend many hours on the pc, glossy is bad for eyes.
    Mmm, I see. So do you think that even with the opengl theme, the solution which can give more life expectance to the notebook is a 135m with a faster processor? (it is 80 euro more, maybe less with the discount)
    I disagree with this, but it may be due to my ignorance: I think that benefits are irrilevant now, small in 1-2 years, great in 3-4 years. Especially with the 140M or the FX. Because if yes or yes I will keep the notebook 4 years, I guess that it is better if it is well equiped. So it will be maybe very exagerated now, a bit exagerated in one or two year (especially if I will never do graphics), but very well choosen in 4 years. And If 64bit OS work better with opengl, the opengl capable configuration give me a chance of even more life expectance, because by installing a 64bit OS and 4 gigas of Ram all will be so much faster...
    What do you say, am I deliring?:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.