The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M4800 Bios corrupted after latest update and wont boot

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by scpres, Jun 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scpres

scpres Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello

Please help.

I just got a Precision M4800.
    Its the quadcore i7 4900 with amd firepro M5100 graphics card in it.

I updated the bios to A26 and the bios got installed but the IME management firmware is unsuccessful. It just frozen and wont do anything even leaving for the whole night. So i decided to remove the battery to shut it down. I turn on the laptop and it still work but the Management engine in device manger has an error ( device power failure) even if i updated to the latest version in dell websites drivers page.

its perfectly working but it always says "FW device failure" on DELL logo screen every boot, but you can still use the device.

The problem starts when i change the boot order to legacy -uefi in F12 boot and then it shut down and woot boot anymore.
    Now when I press the power button its just a lights on battery and hard drive ant then fan noise and that's it.

Is it still possible to recover the bios so i can still use the device?

I have done the research before posting and i did re,ove the cmos battery at the back for hard reset etc.

I also tried the HDR and ROM export and pressing the "end" key button that is posted on the web to recover the bios of inspiron laptop, But that one doesnt work in Dell Precision M4800 as it wont extract the said files.

Anyone here with the same experince as i still want to use te device as it fast

Thanks and I will be waiting for your help.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's not just the end key, it's ctrl+end:
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet?lang=en

How do I initiate BIOS Recovery on a Dell laptop?
    Before you begin the BIOS Recovery, ensure that the laptop's battery is charged up to at least 10%.

1. Verify that the laptop is powered OFF and disconnect the AC adapter.

2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard.

3. Plug in the AC adapter to the laptop.

4. Release the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard once you see the BIOS recovery screen.

5. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM(if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key to save the current BIOS settings.

6. Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

To get a viable bios file you can download the latest bios and rename it to BIOS_IMG.rcv and place that on a USB drive.
    I've used that process on a few Dell laptops and it's worked for me.

3. scpres

scpres Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

The CTRL+ESC wont work in M4800.

I will try the BOS_IMG.rcv is that CTRL+END key combination after plugging it in to AC adapter?

Thanks heaps..

Bien

4. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    otherwise, it's 5~10 bucks for a CH341A and flash a random dump found on the internet on both eeprom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.