The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshwaan2k

joshwaan2k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Guys

I'm looking at upgrading my screen on my M6700 to a FHD one, I have a LG 1600X900 screen which has pretty poor contrast and looks to be a matt screen. I'm looking at the following on ebay suggested by a member on here would this one be ok for me?

Dell XPS L702X Precision M6600 M6700 LCD Screen 17 3" Fit VCV1F HC9GK | eBay

I looked at back it displays D/PN : 0N8M6P LP173WD1 17.3" HD+ (TL) (F1)

LG display.

Cheers

2. TOnt

TOnt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been thinking about replacing my m6700's LG FHD screen with a AUO B173HW01 V5 LCD Panel. This particular AUO panel was supposed the best quality available in the older 17" XPS models. It's not IPS or RGB, but they were apparently awesome panels. My LG panel is pretty good stock, but considering I can get one fairly cheap, I was thinking of trying it out. They are apparently both LVDS connections so it should work...right? The only issue is the size of the bezel on the m6700 is larger and whether or not the AUO panel will actually fit into the m6700. Anyone tried this or have any words of wisdom they are willing to impart before I pull the trigger and buy?

Thanks in advance and regards.

3. gizmo22

gizmo22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just came across what I think is a decent deal on a M6700 on the local classifieds, but it is an i5. I believe with the M6600 models, the batch I had at least, a system that initially shipped as an i5 only had two memory slots.

Can anyone tell me if this continues with the M6700 models? I searched various threads and came up with nothing conclusive. Of course Dell's own site seems to imply that all systems have 4 slots ,and it is the memory controller that determines how many are active (i5 vs i7).

Basically, I will be less prone to purchasing it if I am limited to 16GB of memory in the near future (2x8).

4. TOnt

TOnt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The m6700 only supports use of the 2 memory slots with a dual core processor unfortunately. You need to have a quad core installed if you want to utilize all four slots. This is apparently a limitation of the Intel silicon and not Dell's fault.

5. gizmo22

Reputations:
    Follow you so far, but I am asking if the dual core models physically contain 4 memory slots. I can't remember if it was my M6600, M4600, or a Clevo, but on one of them, models that shipped as dual core from the factory did not have the slots under the keyboard, just a blank PCB with nothing soldered.

I believe, after reading the first 27 pages (270 posts) of the owners' thread, that it indeed has 4 slots regardless of the processor. The two under the keyboard seem to be deactivated with dual cores, and upgrading to a quad unlocks them. If so, I'm good to go.

6. TOnt

TOnt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The slots should be there. You would have to do the CPU upgrade to utilize them.

7. gizmo22

Reputations:
    Great to hear. Just need to track down a 3940 and a 780 now

8. TOnt

TOnt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 3940's are about half price on ebay ( Buy Now) so that shouldn't be a problem ( stay away from the QS processors from china). Every once in a while you see an auction that will fetch you the 3940 for under $400. Also be aware that you will have to upgrade the heat sink assembly as well. Some where on here is the correct Dell part# you will have to get for that part. Have no idea what the 780m's are selling for. Believe I've read mixed reviews on here whether or not the dGPU swap was successful or not. Good luck.

9. aki-108

aki-108 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all

Does anyone know how to disable the touchpad with windows 8.1 ? there is no disable button in the device-manager, and if I uninstall it, it installs itself again after reboot.

thanks,

Aki

10. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you install the dell touchpad driver, there should be a touchpad icon on the taskbar that you can then change settings to include disabling it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.