The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision / Windows 11 information

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jul 7, 2021.

1. slimpower

slimpower Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I upgraded my Precision 7730 to Windows 11 and it is working great (apart from no weather on the lock screen and a few other minor issues). I downloaded it via the Installation Assistance (Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com) after my windows 10 update said my hardware was compatible. I also upgraded my Inspiron 5370 which I was surprised passed the hardware check, but that also seems to work well.

2. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd love some advice. I have a 7740 and reboot today got me an upgrade welcome screen. I read the posts above. My main programs are Solidworks CAD 2016, 2018, depending on the client. Outlook 2010, Office 2010, Adobe CS6. I would be on Win7 still if that were an option - I don't find value in upgrades.

My question is: if I decline today, can I get the same free upgrade later?

If I don't like the upgrade, is the rollback smooth and complete or does that make for a mess?

Should I do it, given my legacy software?

Also, there's a big windstorm outside right now (Boulder, CO foothills). I have UPS, but areas to the north of me are without power. P.s. I'm on the fire department, and just got called out.

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    > My question is: if I decline today, can I get the same free upgrade later?
    Yes. There is no licensing difference between Windows 10 and Windows 11. You are eligible to upgrade for free whenever you want. You can kick it off from the web site (at any time), or through Windows Update in Settings (once MS has decided that your system is eligible).
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

> If I don't like the upgrade, is the rollback smooth and complete or does that make for a mess?
    You can roll back if you do it within 10 days. The rollback is smooth (I have done it).
    You can extend the time up to 60 days with this command (run elevated): DISM /Online /Set-OSUninstallWindow /Value:60
    (After the time expires, your old Windows 10 files will be deleted, so rolling back would require a clean Windows 10 install.)
    The longer you wait to roll back, the messier it could potentially be. It will also roll back updates to other software on your system that may have occurred between when you upgraded and when you decided to roll back. In one case rolling back a Windows 10 feature upgrade (similar process), I had to reinstall Office 365 because it made a bit of a mess of that.

> Should I do it, given my legacy software?
    I do not think that you will into any compatibility issues with your "legacy software". However, while I am assisting users in upgrading where I can, I am not recommending upgrades to Windows 11 at this time, unless you have a specific need. I was excited for Windows 11 when I first heard about it, but I've changed my tune in the last few months; I am preparing a long-winded / in-depth post on the subject but I haven't put that out there yet. If you're getting along fine with Windows 10, I'd suggest that you stick with it for now. Windows 10 will continue to receive updates until late 2025.

4. reburns

reburns Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you Aaron - I'll stick with Win10 for awhile. And the outside winds are subsiding.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations: