The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Designing a Precision 7740 for minimum heat gen

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Nickje, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nickje

Nickje Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi All,

I have a question regarding a 7740. I want to run a machine that a) does not expel much heat b) reduces fan noise where possible.

I am open to any configuration of the 7740 in total, with the questions around which components can impact these positively or negatively the most and what do people recommend?

Usually go for no graphics (or a low powered one) as it's not really needed.

My main usage is for usual work, browsing, chrome (with lots of tabs), emails, documents etc.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I'm curious; are you sure you want a Precision for this sort of work load? You could get by with an XPS 13 9380, or a Latitude; perhaps get a larger monitor if necessary?

alexhawker likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can see the desire to have a well-built 17" system. There aren't that many choices out there for business systems.

Anyway, just get whatever you want and use DellFanCmd (see my signature) plus SpeedFan to limit the CPU fan speed to 50%. I have tried this with my 7530 and it is very quiet at this speed. I've tried loading the CPU up with the fan capped at 50% and what happens is, it quickly throttles down to around 2 GHz to keep it from overheating. If you want to reduce the heat further than you can cap the maximum CPU speed using the settings in Windows advanced power options.

4. Nickje

Nickje Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Would you recommend an I7 or a Xeon for least heat generation for basic activities?

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Really they'll be basically the same.
    If you want least heat generation for "basic activities" then I recommend putting a cap on the CPU speed. I describe an easy say to do this in the "Setup" section in this post. (You can ignore everything else in the post if you don't want to mess with fan control.) http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...anaging-the-fan-speed-in-dell-laptops.833340/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.