The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

E-Series... when ? :-(

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by allerune, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allerune

allerune Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Intel postponed launching Montevina...
    ...does Dell say anything about E-Series?

I really wanted to get one but I can't wait 2-3 months...

Can anyone say anything interesting about this subject?

2. Forte

Forte NBR's Supreme Angel

Reputations:
    Nope, the E series was prior to the current line of inspirons. Get an XPS laptop, they are rather cheap right now.

3. allerune

Reputations:
    1530 seems too big and power consuming, 1330 too small...

I think I'll go for the D630. 14 inch seems the best value/size option.

4. Forte

Reputations:
    Sounds good.

5. monakh

monakh Votum Separatum

Reputations:
    You may be disappointed with a D630, which while being a splendid machine, is rather heavy. It is a solidly built chassis though. When I had it, I felt like I was carrying around a tank. It also felt as heavy :)

The D630 is a great machine, but it's rather bland and unexciting. I hope the E series will change that. I also hope that the rumors of Montevina's delays are...exaggerated. However, once again, if you need a laptop, you should get it now although I believe Montevina's advances make it worth the wait (if it was less than a month). No one knows for sure. I love my M1330. I think it is currently a fabulous bargain.

6. Forte

Reputations:
    M1530 is pretty good in terms of battery life. I get about 2 hours 30 mins on 6 cell, provided I dont do gaming or anything like that. Though its as big as my other 15.4 incher... it is as light as my 12.1 inch tablet pc.

7. robgt

robgt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The m1530 is a excellent laptop and it is at a great price right now

8. allerune

Reputations:
    Hmmm, I just spent last 3 hours looking at reviews of m1330 and d630 and begun to change my mind...

...I need quite a powerful laptop (4GB Ram + Centrino 2.5) that will use for running virtual machines with Oracle and other heavy stuff. I will connect it to 24" monitor so screen size can be smaller, but graphics need to be able to work well with 1920x1200... I'm personally interested in Video and Photo editing so machine need to be quite strong. Looks, graphics, enterntainment options put m1330 in front, but...
    On the other hand, thinking about portability factor, battery life is important...

Some issues that I found and question to you:
    - m1330 does have glossy screen that I hate, but I just found those anti-glare covers that would help me with this, am I right?
    - m1330 is offered only with 320GB 5400 rpm drive, but I have 250GB 7200 rpm one that I'm using as a portable one, can I swap them without loosing warranty?

The big issue is docking station. Being able to use it with my work HP I was really looking for a laptop that has this option, m1330 doesn't :-/

Is there anything you can tell to help me choose? :)

9. Forte

Reputations:
    M1530 supports the 1920 x 1200 option and the graphics card is great for everything other than gaming at that resolution.

10. allerune

Reputations:
    at the moment I'm considering m1330 and d630...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.