The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

E6540 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Turnbull2000, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scrlk

scrlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Single 16GB SO-DIMMS exist but are extremely expensive ($300+ a stick). I vaguely remember reading that the Haswell platform does not support 16GB SO-DIMMS so it seems like you're out of luck.

2. Lostboymir

Lostboymir Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. Is there anyone with a e6540 laptop with only the intel video card, without ati video card? How are the temps in this case?Thank you!

3. scrlk

scrlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    E6540 without AMD GPU should be fine with no overheating issues (both dual/quad core).

4. Turnbull2000

Turnbull2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Latest Windows updates are causing problems with the Intel HD4600 and AMD HD8790M

The GPUs seem to be disabled after 2-3 reboots or a certain period of time. I've just tried re-installing the Intel HD4600 drivers to try and restore functionality with the updates installed, but no luck. Both the GPU and drivers/control panel fail to initialize. It's as if the updates are disabled the GPU devises themselves. I'm at a loss!

5. Turnbull2000

Reputations:
    The power button on my e6540 has pressed in and stayed there. It's now recessed within the unit, and sliding underneath the case. Seems a few other people have experienced the same part failure. Anyone seen a guide that explains how to remove the cover and access the power button?!

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Unfortunately its integrated into the palm rest so the disassembly is somewhat lengthy. Here is Dell's guide at their support site:

http://www.dell.com/support/manuals...11F0B8-DC30-4CFB-9AE9-F025FB81B370&lang=en-us

Turnbull2000 likes this.
  7. Turnbull2000

Reputations:
    Been in and 'fixed' it with super glue and carefully crafted duct tape. Can see why it's failing for a few users - the component and the plastic arms that attach it to the palm rest are incredibly fragile.

8. spddm0n

spddm0n Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi - Does anyone know if I can simply purchase a Dell FHD display (1920x1080) for the E6540 and put it on another E6540 that currently just has the 1366x768 display? I found a good used E6540 with the lower resolution display and I want to consider buying it and upgrading it with the better display.

Thanks!

9. hellfire88

hellfire88 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, I have done this before. The installation is actually pretty easy. You just pop off the plastic frame around the screen (gently, its held on by small plastic tabs) and unscrew 4 screws. The monitor then flops off and you gently lift the plastic tab holding the screen cable into the screen socket. I believe you'll need to get a screen that uses the 30pin connector.

10. jdugan4859

jdugan4859 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I can confirm that the 16GB SO-DIMMS do not work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.