The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

E6540 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Turnbull2000, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What applications do 16gb SO-DIMMS actually work in?

2. Lostboymir

Lostboymir Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No Haswell laptop or mainstream desktop I'm aware of can use 16GB SO-DIMMs; as far as I know the only Haswell machines that can are the Socket 2011 workstation and high-end gaming desktops.
    Most machines with a Broadwell processor can use 16GB DDR3L.
    Most (probably all) machines with a Skylake processor can use 16GB DIMMs.

4. stu01

stu01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I want to buy a thermal paste & thermopads for E6540 (with ATI 8790). Never disassembled heatsink from this dell - so I have a few questions, before I do this:
    Originaly thermal paste is applied both on CPU and GPU? Or there is thermopad on GPU?
    What is height of the original thermopads, installed by Dell? 1mm?

Probably I`ll buy a Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste & Phobya Thermopad XT thermopads.

5. Olotila

Olotila Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I put a sim card to the slot under the battery, but It does not work. Not in Windows 7 or Linux Mint. "Internal Modem" is enabled in Bios. Drivers are up to date, by Dell's own update manager in their website. Manual does not advice how to use internet via the sim card. How do I put the sim card to use?

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do you have a WWAN card installed? It will be listed in Device Manager under network adapters. All the notebooks have the SIM card slot but the WWAN card is an option.

John

pitz and Olotila like this.
  7. Olotila

Olotila Newbie

Reputations:
    You are absolutely right. I never even thought of that, having sim slot and only that. Funny.

pitz and John Ratsey like this.
  8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you want the WWAN capability then the notebook is old enough that you can probably find a suitable WWAN card at a reasonable price. It doesn't have to be Dell branded (unlike Lenovo and HP who "whitelist" their WiFi and WWAN cards).

However, if you only want occasional mobile internet then using a smartphone as a hotspot saves the cost of buying the WWAN card plus the running cost of a data SIM.

John

9. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sierra Wireless MC7700's 4G LTE cards apparently can be bought for ~$30-ish and can apparently be activated on T-Mobile "Free Data for Life" plans. T-Mobile SIMs are $5 online, or free sometimes from T-Mobile. Even if you're going to do the tethering, its still not the worst idea in the world to pay a little bit of money for a backup option.

10. spkay31

spkay31 Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed an mSata ssd in the WWAN slot, but now my regular SATA hard drive disappears? What I did what split the original 1Tb hard drive into C: and D: partitions and then cloned the C: partition with Windows 6 x64 OS to the ssd and then hid the original C: partition and deactivated it in diskpart. It worked when it first booted with C: on mSata ssd and the D: on the local hard disk but now it doesn't want to see the hard disk at all on subsequent boots.

Is there something in the BIOS that needs to be changed to allow both WWAN ssd + sata hd ? Really confused since it seemed like it worked fine than wouldn't recognize the sata hd on subsequent reboots. I solved the problem at least temporarily by using an external USB dock for the internal hd, but this stinks since I really want the C: and D: partitions to be housed internally since my user relocated %Documents%, %Downloads%, %Music%, %Pictures% and %Videos% to D: so it's essential for normal function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.