The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

[GUIDE] Dell Precision M6800/M4800 sBIOS mod

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by valuxin, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derei

derei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Images in first post missing. Although I can follow the tutorial, I would like to see at least the image with bridging the pins, for permanent unlocking, to make sure I don't do something stupid on my motherboard.

Also, could you recommend a tool for editing the dumped bios file? There are so many available, but I'd like to use one that has been tested and is proven to work, not to create some corrupt file that will brick my bios.

Many thanks!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. rzrwolf

rzrwolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dear friends.

Can you advise me on my problem?

Maybe the MOD can help me somehow? I have spent like 3 days figuring out the problem with my M6800...

I have version A05 BIOS installed now and it is not updating any further (also no downgrade).

I have tried EVERY version available on DELL support section - from a01 to a19.

Each try just ends in system reboot and usual windows boot with no update.

I have tried installing via DOS usb stick, via various Win versions, via f12 flash upgrade and finally via dell command update program (which suggested to install a19 and asked to reboot - and nothing again)..

A have tried removing all hardware (msata, sata drives, wifi, dvd), tried bios default settings, tried clearing CMOS with battery disconnect.

Thats what i got in log under win update:

***BIOS flash started on 12/13/2013 at 3:27:04***
    Command: C:\Users\User\Downloads\M6800A19.exe /s /l=test.txt

A05 INSTALLED (Dell System Precision M6800)
    - (NO MANIFEST ON SYSTEM)

A19 UPDATE (Dell System Precision M6800)
    - System BIOS : A19
    - Embedded Controller : A13
    - Gigabit Ethernet : 1.3
    - Legacy Video OROM : 2178.V.15
    - Legacy RAID OROM : 12.7.0.1936
    - Intel Management Engine Update : 9.1.41.3024
    - ACPI OS support : 0.0.0.1
    - Intel AntiTheft : 3.0.0.18

Exit Code = 2 (Reboot Required)
    ***BIOS flash finished at 12/13/2013 at 3:27:13***

After reboot - again - nothing.

I just wanted to update to latest version and then mod BIOS, but it looks like i am not getting new version so far..

Can anyone assist? I am willing to pay/donate for help.

3. rzrwolf

Reputations:
    The thing is - even if i dump my bios - how do i get newer version from DELL packed EXE file?

Or can someone share newer version dump of their BIOS, so i can flash it via mod described above?

4. rzrwolf

Reputations:
    Thx to valuxin - the problem solved)

5. belarusian

belarusian Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have an image for pins 1 and 5 of the Realtek audio chip?

6. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2sl0w, derei and belarusian like this.
  7. derei

derei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. I was able to unlock my bios and I could see in XTU some extra features (current, turbo boost power time window), but it seems those have no influence. Maybe the motherboard is limiting the current?
    Also, how to modify the bios, so I can change the reference clock with XTU?

Thanks.

8. Blossomcrown

Blossomcrown Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Valuxin,
    thanks for your amazing great work as this guide here:)
    Q1:UPDATED:i've try some work around on M6700 as your method,no surprise that the NVRAM Variables are different.Could you pls point me how to find those thing?i guess i have to analyse the nude BIOS files in some way?
    Q2:im also researching the possibility to put a Quadro P5000 in M6700/M6800,it seems like modded version VBIOS OR modded ACPI-DSDT table is required.could you please point me some direction?
    Ťhanks very much in advanced!
    sry for my bad english

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  9. superbug8848

superbug8848 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Valuxin:
    Thanks for your amazing work, I am a new guy for M4800, I want install i7 4980HQ CPU on my M4800( bought it from Taobao, added pins CPU). Now , when I installed the cpu on the mainboard, the notebook can't boot, I think i need add CPU microcode into bios. I already dump the A21 BIOS image, and modified the bios with mmtool aptio 4.50.0.23, add the microcode( CPUID is 00040661, show as 32661), how should I disable BIOS Signing Check feature? Where can I change this setting? Could you please tell me more detail? Thanks.

10. superbug8848

superbug8848 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi , Valuxin:
    I am new for AMI bios mod, you said that after modified the biosbck.bin file, I should disable BIOS Signing Check feature inside the BIOS image , can you tell me more detail , how to disable bios Signing Check feature? Thanks a lot. I want add i7 4980HQ microcode into the BIOS file .Thanks .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.