The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Help me decide: Precision 7550 vs 5750

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Joah Hems, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My experience with Dell on-site support for AW in the UK is that they are quick to send technicians over in cases which obviously require this. My single experience with a Dell technician on site was a bit mixed. Got the job done, but he wasn't a corporate-level IT professional. Would experience Precision support to further improve on this.

2. WoofWolf

WoofWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They are ok if you broke the OS or messed something up in BIOS but anything HW will be required to be sent to DELL repair center. You get support at work yes if the company has its own team of IT. But as a private person i never heard of them sending out a technician to your door to repair a laptop and i live in north London. They transfer you over and over on the phone and once you reach out the right chap he will most often ask you two things, did you buy the laptop at store or did you buy it online? If at store they will tell you to head over to the source of purchase with paperwork and they will have one of theirs service technicians have a look at it under warranty. If online you need to send it to Dell repairs center they provide details and service tag.

3. etern4l

Reputations:
    Not my experience at all. They replaced the motherboard in my m15, and offered to send someone in to replace a fan. Could be a difference between Alienware support and whatever laptop you had issues with, I doubt it was a Precision with pro support.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well you've heard of it now. I purchased my Precision M6700 privately — through the business store, with a sales rep over the phone — and I did have it serviced a couple of times early in its life. Once to replace the display panel and once to replace the motherboard (which turned out to be unnecessary but that's a different story). No issue with getting them to send a rep out. This was in the U.S., but a lot of people on this board have purchased their systems privately and I haven't heard of them refusing to send a rep for other locales.

I don't dispute the claim with other levels of service (business without pro support, or any level of consumer warranty service). I've been making sure to always get pro support since I bought the M6700 in 2012.

5. WoofWolf

WoofWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes Alienware is a completely separate company despite being under Dell acquisition they operate as their own brand. Alienware has great support none of their old machines would make it this far without it.

6. etern4l

Reputations:
    This seems to be inaccurate too, at least with respect to support. Support for my Alienware has been provided by "Dell EMC Team". Not sure what EMC stands for. The on-site support was outsourced.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    EMC became Dell EMC when Dell purchased them in 2016. EMC was a player in the business tech space (my company used them for some network storage equipment before the purchase by Dell). They owned VMware for a while. The acronym just comes from the names of its founders.

etern4l likes this.
  8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    This is incorrect. Pro Support has remote diagnosis and on-site repair.

Source

etern4l likes this.
  9. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Dunno about the UK, but I have had them onsite several times in the US.

10. etern4l

Reputations:
    The support model offered by Dell seems to be consistent between Europe and the US. My guess is that @WoofWolf is describing the support experience for some of the cheaper Dell laptops such as Inspiron, which probably don't come with on-site support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.