The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Help me decide: Precision 7550 vs 5750

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Joah Hems, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Yeah, consumer vs business machines/support are two different things entirely.

2. reas_seammes

reas_seammes Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not true from my experience as well. The red channel pixels died on my SXPS1645 and they requested some camera shots to verify after the usual driver upgrade routine with tech support.

Next day there was a tech at my doorstep with a brand new display and replaced it. No other questions asked.
    (I was on "In Home service with Accidental Damage protection" plan)

Take this as one more data point where Dell did a great job.
    I am from India and sub par customer experience is the norm here.

3. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a home office, and Dell has sent multiple techs to my home to fix my Precision 7720, after some remote diagnostics sessions with technicians that were universally competent. At one point, an issue that made the laptop keyboard unusable that persisted through both a motherboard replacement and a keyboard replacement that they could not repair on site or remotely, resulted in them shipping an equivalent specification 7730 to me. I'm a fan, for life. It's very interesting to me that the biggest supporters of Dell's Pro Support are the customers themselves.

4. acemanhiflier

acemanhiflier Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My 2 cents. Out of 13-14 years of direct experience with Dell Pro Support that I have across a wide range of products, they are hands down the best. Far ahead of the likes of HP, Lenovo, Asus, Apple etc. I think its got to do with the strong ethics of the company which have been nicely ingrained in their ERP system. One of the major reasons for me and several others I know to buy Dell machines.

Dell are the only manufacturers I know who are non-fussy about you opening their machines, minor modifications and adding upgrades. At best they simply ask you to restore the machine to the original state before services are rendered.

reas_seammes likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What's the worst case scenario then? :)

Agree, that's great about Dell, but might not be enough to carry them in light of abysmal QC and deteriorating design.

6. acemanhiflier

acemanhiflier Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Apologies; I meant, at worst...

I think that is model specific. Most manufacturers have some good models and some not so good ones. It also depends on mapping your requirements to what is on offer.

E.g., IMHO Dell XPS and Precision 5 Series are a superior design to Macbook Pro, beating the latter distinctly for most practical use cases. As for the Precision 7 Series, I don't think there is any equivalent. HP designs are overly complicated and Lenovo is a strict no-no if you are even a wee bit concerned about security. Asus and MSI do offer some credible solutions, which may suit some.

reas_seammes and Aaron44126 like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Throtlebook Pro is a bit of a strawman. Alienwares used to be solid contenders, but Dell recently took concrete steps to neuter the brand. In Europe XMG/Schenker (mostly a Clevo reseller it seems) looks interesting.

8. ov_Darkness

ov_Darkness Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Purchased my Precision 3520 as a business.
    Had my mainboard replaced on site. Quick and clean.So to this day, only positive experiences with Dell Support.
    Maybe that's because I live in Poland and seeing a new Precision outside of corpo here is a rarity.
    Even my colleagues from other companies doing similar work as mine are using gaming rigs.
    And they drool on mine ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.