The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude 110L keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by wilefella, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilefella

wilefella Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    This is my first post and I’m not even sure that I’m on the right forum. All of a sudden, I am having major problems with my keyboard.
    When I type certain letters I get weird results. For example the space key gives a space plus ’n’. ‘M’ is acting like ‘enter’. ‘H’ is like ‘ctrl+H’. ‘Backspace’ is ‘y’. ‘J’ is ‘j#’ or ’#j’.

Can anyone help, please. In have run Spybot, Adaware, AVG, cleaned the hard drive etc. I don’t even know if this is a hardware or software problem
    :confused:

2. vallaird

vallaird Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you are running Windows XP, go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Regional and Language Options, click on the Language Tab and then click on the Details... button. Check if the Default Input Language and Installed Language is the one you use normally, that might be a cause for your problem. Hope this helps a little.

3. wilefella

wilefella Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, but I tried this and the settings were OK.
    I am still baffled.

I read in another forum about someone having the exact same problem with the same keys and the answer referred the person to this forum, but I don‘t know if the problem was ever resolved.

4. wilefella

wilefella Newbie

Reputations:
    Just to let you know that a simple system restore seems to have done the trick. Thanks anyway.

:) :)

5. Masseyhall

Masseyhall Newbie

Reputations:
    In my experience, this problem, which appears widespread, can be solved by reseating the keyboard. On this laptop, the keyboard is connected to the motherboard by a flimsy clip, and sometimes when the laptop is jarred this clip comes loose, leading to errors from certain keys (backspace, enter, etc.)

Remove the keyboard, following these instructions (no tools needed, really, just your hands).

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/lat110l/en/sm/keyboard.htm

While you have the keyboard out, blow air (canned compressed air is best) under the keys to clean them out for good measure.

Then, reconnect the keyboard and its cable to the laptop, again following the above instructions, and your problem should have disappeared! Make sure that you have the black clip in the upright position, then get the keyboard cable aligned really square against the clip, and then press the clip down until it snaps into place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.