The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude 5x90 BIOS 1.13.1 - Does undervolting still work?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by HeadHunter, May 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It likely doesn't work if it includes the plundervolt fix. Having said that, numerous Dell laptops can still undervolt after installing the new bios by simply loading bios defaults. If you want to undervolt then why take the risk? The bios update fixes a security loop by disabling undervolting, nothing to really gain outside of that.

3. HeadHunter

Reputations:
    Well if the BIOS only addressed the plundervolt I wouldn't even consider updating, but it resolves other issues as well:

Fixes:
    - Firmware updates to address the Intel Security Advisories INTEL-SA-00289 (CVE-2019-11157) and INTEL-SA-00317 (CVE-2019-14607).
    - Fixed the issue where there is no display on the system. This issue occurs when it is connected to a VGA monitor using the Dell Dock WD15.

Enhancements:
    - Updated the BIOS warning message that is displayed when an AC adapter with low wattage is connected to the system.
    - Updated the Intel CPU Microcode.
    - Updated the Intel Management Engine firmware.
    - Updated the Embedded Controller Engine firmware.

And it would also mean I can't ever update BIOS again as any BIOS from now on is gonna have the undervolting blocked. If on the other hand this BIOS still allowed undervolting, it would be a different story

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you do try it, go into the bios and choose the "Restore" button then "Factory Reset" option. After that undervolting should work again. It worked on the Precision 7740 v1.9.0 which was released a couple of weeks ago, for me. No upgrading/downgrading needed.

5. HeadHunter

Reputations:
    Interesting, sounds like a bug.

6. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's likely a bug, but it does seem to - can confirm that a similar set of steps worked to return undervolting (and other overclocking features, more critically with an i9-9980HK) on the 7540:
    * downgrade to 1.7.0
    * clear BIOS defaults
    * set up the BIOS to boot again
    * re-upgrade to 1.9.0

Latitude_5X91_Precision_3530_1.12.0.exe did not disable undervolting on my work 5491

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.