The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Latitude D630 question....

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Gatuso, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatuso

Gatuso Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought a Latitude D630 and it shows 1gig of RAM, wanting to add another gig I open the little door on the bottom of the laptop and it has an sticker that says "bay A is on side top" (or something like that) and "bay B is there and calls for DDR memory" Well my question is where is that "bay A on side top" I would like to see if I have one 1 gig chip or two 512 chips.....and can I just add a 1 gig chip on bay "B" regarless on how the first 1gig is confugured? is it built-in in the mother board?

Well I guess that's three questions.

Thankx in advance.

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. The other memory slot is located under the keyboard. you'll need to remove the hinge cover (the strip above the keyboard with the media controls and the power button. You'll also need to unscrew and flip the keyboard forward. More info here in the D630's online user's guide (a PDF version should be on your system somewhere) http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd630/en/UG/parts.htm#wp1043338

2. You can find out how many memory sticks you have now by running CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and looking under the SPD tab, there in the "memory slot selection" area you can see exactly what is where.

3. You can add another GB of RAM to the system. You'll just have to make sure that a 1 GB stick (1024 MB) is in either slot A or B. If you have 2 512 MB sticks (together they will equal 1 GB of RAM), you'll have to toss both and order two 1 GB sticks. No the memory isn't built in to the motherboard.

Hope this helps you out and good luck :)

Ricky

3. Jakpro

Jakpro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    More than likely, you will have two 512 sticks.

You can read the one on the bottom or you can check the original configuration on your paperwork or by going to the Dell website and checking your service tag number to see what it came configured with new.

You only have two slots, so you either add 1gb and go to 1.5gb or remove both stocks and replace them with 1gb sticks. As cheap as RAM is now, you might as well get a 2gb kit with matched sticks. You can also go to 2.5gb by just adding a 2gb stick.

4. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tip, booboo! I have cpuz but I didn't realize it could tell me that info.

5. ifti

ifti Undiscovered

Reputations:
    Check the second post here. Its a video that will show you how to upgrade the RAM in your Latitude.

6. Gatuso

Gatuso Newbie

Reputations:
    Thankx everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.