The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ejl1980, Aug 11, 2012.

1. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a question for everyone who has installed a maxwell GPU on their Precision M4700.
    (Quadro K2200M, M1000M, M2000M, M2200, and Geforce GTX 965M)

What card did you install and what is the part number of your motherboard?
    It can be found under the keyboard, on the connector housing for memory module C
    XX-XXXXXX-XXXXX-XXX-XXXX
    35JKV, 2PR7R, or RM0C3

The RM0C3 board has a different video connector for a RGB display

I am not looking for answers like "I think" and "it should" these are not helpful. I am only looking for answers from people who have done a successful install.
    ##-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-##​
    The reason that I'm asking this is because I recently bought a M4700 (came with a K1000M and motherboard version 35JKV) for my son, and purchased a M1000M (Dell part number 02PNW4)
    Here is my experience with MB version 35JKV:

Optimus : Off
    Internal Display : Backlight comes on but no picture of any kind is displayed
    Display Port : Monitor detects a signal then goes back to sleep
    HDMI : No signal detected by the monitor

Optimus : On
    Boots fine, installs drivers fine with modded inf.
    M1000M will not activate for any video output tasks on the built in display.
    As soon as you plug in an external display the M1000M jumps to life loads data into it's VRAM (built in display is still using the Intel HD 4000 only)

I am not interested in having it functioning as an Optimus GPU. If I wanted that, I would have bought a consumer model laptop.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If this is the case, then it is likely that you modded the INF wrong.
    Take a look at this post where I describe the INF mod. Note that there are separate hardware IDs for "Optimus on" and "Optimus off" and if you swap out the wrong one then you will get stuck with Optimus not working. I ran into this when I first installed my Quadro M5000M in my Precision M6700.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-254#post-10937563

3. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am aware of the hardware IDs being different between Optimus on and off, and have experience modding inf files. I used to be running a M6700 with a GTX 980M, and now I'm running a Precision 7710 with a Quadro P4000.

My primary issue is that my M4700 will not display anything other than the screen backlight with the Quadro M1000M installed and Optimus disabled.

This is why I am asking about motherboard versions and successful Maxwell installs.

4. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe the card is defective, with optimus disabled maxwell card should generate the LVDS signal needed, did you tried another vbios ? or the card might be too "lower end" to have this feature "enabled", I don't know about that.
    For the card not running on internal display, you might need to use windows 10 graphical settings and force the app to use the card , that's what I did with my M6700 and my old GTX970M in order to load the card with optimus enabled :
    https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/manage-graphics-performance-per-app-windows-10/
    Now I have no issue since I switched my M6700 to eDP (not RGB) LCD :)

5. JamesJAB

JamesJAB Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My temporary solution for now:
    Grabbed a cheap Quadro K2100M from ebay (Dell version). Card installed and powered up with no issues. Drives the built in screen with optimus disabled, and installed unmodified drivers with no issues.
    After downloading the drivers, I went to mod them and found that the device ID was included in the inf.

Rokobo likes this.
  6. Ilmari

Ilmari Newbie

Reputations:
    It took me more than two years to get back to this. But I did not find any custom charging thresholds in the BIOS, at least not under the Power management sections. Now my bios is A19 and I don't think I saw any such settings there. Is there some other applications that could be used for such tweaking?

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    It is under Power Management / Primary Battery Configuration. Select the "Custom Charge" profile to have the options appear. If you do not have the option then you have a battery that does not support multiple profiles (this is normally the case for extended warranty batteries).

8. Ilmari

Ilmari Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. I found it now when I inserted my old original Dell battery. I had not set the custom thresholds two years ago, and now when I bought a new(non-original) battery, the settings were not available:/

9. Ilmari

Ilmari Newbie

Reputations:
    Now I'm back with the same problem after installing Linux Ubuntu. And to lesser extent with Mint which I also tried. but I guess I'm leaning towards Ubuntu as it has better functionality otherwise in my case. Is there anyone out there using Linux and have fan noise issues? I s there any power management tools made for m4700 running Linux?

Is the BIOS A19 the latest one? I can't find anything newer on Dell's site, but here someone wrote updating to A25 fixed the issue. But maybe it was not for M4700 but for M4800?

https://www.dell.com/community/Prec...s-Fan-Noise/m-p/7239157/highlight/false#M1291

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I have a tool that gives you some manual control over the fans. I really dislike the fan behavior of the M6700 (which I suspect is the same with the M4700), so I use this to run the CPU fan at 50% constantly with turbo boost disabled and just allow it to crank up when I am actually doing something CPU heavy.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ual-custom-control-of-the-laptop-fans.827106/

It is for Windows only but it is derived from tools that originated on Linux.
    https://github.com/clopez/dellfan
    https://github.com/TomFreudenberg/dell-bios-fan-control

Maybe that will get you pointed in a direction where you can find a solution to your issue.