The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4700 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by ejl1980, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Ilmari

Ilmari Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for the tip. I will look into it!

2. Jonas Rittenhouse

Jonas Rittenhouse Newbie

Reputations:
    I am looking at buying one of these refurbished. I also was going to buy a laptop cooling pad, but the one I am considering requires the notebook to have ventilation ports on the bottom of the notebook. Can anyone please tell me if the M4700 has this? Thank you

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, intake vents are on the bottom (rear) and outtake on the back. Pretty standard for larger laptops.

4. Ilmari

Ilmari Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone managed to disable, even partially, the Intel Management Engine (IME) in Dell Precision M4700 using Libreboot or Coreboot? Or some other trick? I came across with some articles about those being compatible only in some ThinkPad models. Thank you in advance.

5. Spyder034

Spyder034 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Cap980,

My specs are as follows:
    Dell M4700
    i5-3360M 2.80GHz.
    16.0 Gb Ram, Kingston HyperX
    Clevo Brand GTX 965M
    Specifically:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 965M Graphics GPU Card N16E-GS-KAB-A1 4Gb For DELL MSI Clevo
    SSD hard Drive and
    mSATA Drive
    Windows 10 64-Bit

I’ve Tried:
    • Modifying the .inf for latest GeForce Drivers Myself.
    • I changed “Section” for all cards that had the 965M Identifier.
    • I reached out to the Video Card supplier and had them remote in to install, (Using the same methods above)
    • I attempted finding Dell certified drivers and doing the same .inf Configuration
    • I attempted finding Drivers that were used with a similar Chipset. (G2 Socket)
    • I used this site to try modifying an additional file, (nv_dispi.inf)
    • I reinstalled the Graphics card and applied new thermal paste and re-seated everything.
    • I even tried using a Clevo laptop driver just to be safe.

I did not try to flash the vBios as I am not sure it would even help. I know my system is running in Legacy mode and when I checked the card using GPUz, "After installing drivers that failed", It shows that the card does Support UEFI which I think implies it will also support Legacy systems.

Long story short. I can not get this card to work. No matter what I have done or what drivers I use the computer will not run any games or video card related content.

If I try to play a game or do anything that switches from the intel integrated graphics the computer will freeze. I also get artifacts in the Spinning Nvidia logo. Please review my attachment for everything I attempted.

I have tried turning off "Optimus" in the drivers but it ends with a black screen of death and I can't even get into the bios to turn it back on. This is even if I have installed the drivers before turning optimus off. I have had to remove the CMOS battery to get the laptop working again.

Anyway, ANY help at all would be appreciated I have been fighting this for weeks trying not to ship this card back.

Maybe the CLEVO MSI brand isnt compatible with dell laptops for some reason?
    Is there an older and very specific Driver I need to find?
    Why won't windows recognize the card as anything other than Microsoft display adapter? Is windows 10 just not a good fit for this? Should I revert back to windows 7 or 8?

6. nmp123

nmp123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    Totally new to this, I have had this machine since 2013/4sh and would liek to prolong its use as it was free from work (redundancy):
    specs are below

CPU – i5 3320QM
    RAM – 8 GB
    SSD – Crucial MX500 SSDCT250Mx500SSD1
    GPU – Nvidia Quadro K1000m

My question is, and from reading this forum is it worth upgrading to the M2200 Qaudro (dell version), would i likely see any issues with the system holistically?

Many thanks and appreciate in advance for any opinions

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I've heard a few success stories with the Quadro M2200 in the Precision M4800. I do not recall hearing any about the M4700, but I rather suspect that it would work fine if there is no physical incompatibility with the heatsink. You should look at M4800 stories on this forum as they will give you guidance on what you need to do with regards to INF mods and the like.

(I myself am using Quadro M5000M in the Precision M6700, "big brother" to this system, and it has been working for almost four years with no problems. I do have to keep graphics switching / Optimus turned on, though... If I try to run on the dGPU only I have some system stability issues.)

8. cgilley

cgilley Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree with Aaron, there isn't any reason why it would not work (it's been many years since I bought mine - what the M2200 not an option?). Not sure what you would gain from it...

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    M2200 would have been introduced in early 2017 with the Precision 7520. It's probably the fastest GPU card that you could get that would work well in this system. (Pascal cards have a BIOS/vBIOS compatibility issue and will cause Windows to crash at boot.)

10. nmp123

nmp123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had no choice over the spec was ordered for me by my employer. Expecting to game some performance with light gaming I suppose.