The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 + M5100, driver problem from Windows Update, using old AMD DELL official driver?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by blysk, Jan 30, 2020.

1. blysk

blysk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I recently moved my M4800 with M5100 AMD GPU from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I had the problem, the screen would freeze after a few seconds of use. I could unfreeze it if I close the laptop and open it again, then it would work for a few seconds again.

I then activated switchable graphics (deactivated resulted in behavior above) and the Intel drivers were installed, now both drivers were from Windows update.

I then used the system for the day, no problems. But then something happened, after a reboot the system froze again, I had to power it down. After power up no bootable device was found. I had to reinstall.

I then loaded the newest driver for M5100 from Dell homepage. This driver (Video_Driver_VC9R7_WN32_15.201.2701_A02.EXE) appears to be a quite old AMD driver.

Which is the best driver to use? Should I try AMD official driver where I had a crash before or should I leave it at this one?

2. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    No bootable devices found usually indicates a drive or BIOS problem. I would run a health check on your boot drive to make sure it's not failing.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Warning, warning... What caused that? It's a stretch to think that it was caused by GPU driver issues. You could be dealing with a drive problem. A failing drive can totally cause the system to freeze up.

What disks to you have installed in this system?
    Do you have the system set to AHCI or RAID mode? (This is set in BIOS setup.)
    If it is AHCI, which disk controller driver is installed? This may well could have changed during the Windows 10 upgrade (Microsoft AHCI driver swapped out with Intel AHCI driver or vice-versa) and be the cause of the freezing; maybe the one installed on Windows 8.1 was more "tolerant" of drive issues.

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Did you upgrade or install windows 10 from scratch?

5. blysk

blysk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I installed W10 LTSC from scratch.

I have Hard Disk Sentinel installed, it reads SMART values constantly reporting my System Disk as perfect condition.

The nobootable device was after the crash, I suspect the laptop freezing due to the GPU and doing something different, perhaps HDD driver related. Cannot tell anymore.

The System is in AHCI mode, controller is the one that came from windows update, "Standard SATA AHCI controller" if that is the correct one in device manager.

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I used to have those issues with the M4600.

The way I got around it is to remove all the drives save for the OS drive and then it would repopulate where I wanted it. That was for the m4600 though, from what I understand the sBIOS was much better on the m4700/m4800 so the behavior may be different.

7. blysk

blysk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, currently it works fine, but still I think I am using the latest Dell driver which instead I think is an old AMD catalyst driver.
    Therefore the question, which driver should I use? Apparently I had troubles with tthe driver from windows update

8. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Took me a long time until I figured out to download the driver from AMD website, AMD changed their website a lot the last years and I finally found the support site for M4800 enterprise page using M5100

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prof...irepro-mobility-series/firepro-m5100-mobility
    And download the one named "Radeon™ Pro Software for Enterprise on Dell Mobile"

I had massive issues when I changed from the Nvidia card that the drivers are just screwed up ...very good nvidia...the rage is ongoing about the stability the last years. I had so many gpu related bsods that I had enough.
    Then I discovered this.
    First I installed the old driver and almost nothing worked and then the catalyst software updated itself but not the driver as it can not find the correct driver so the catalyst software brakes itself, then a few minutes later windows update tries to update the driver with a WDDM driver and that does not work great at all and it contains no catalyst software so you have no proper control over the switchable graphics and does not switch gpu either but uses the built in gpu.
    After a week of using a separate ssd drive restoring a macrium reflect image to try another solution I found the driver on AMD website and all has been good ever after

So Instructions:

Pre-step:
    To prevent drivers to automatically be installed disable windows update to install driver updates or it will do this as soon as you login after a reboot and you cannot stop it and all work was for nothing.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...iver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html
    I prefer using gpedit.msc but regedit is fine too.

On clean install
    1. Install latest intel 4600 driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600
    2. After reboot and after intel driver is installed
    3. Install AMD driver https://www.amd.com/en/support/prof...irepro-mobility-series/firepro-m5100-mobility
    4. Reboot

If you have remnants over and do not want to reinstall the OS
    1. Download https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
      Download the file and extract to desktop or prefered place
    2. Reboot to safe-boot https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html
      I prefer opening msconfig and tick "Safe boot" with network then restart
    3. When pc is started to safe-boot start Display driver uninstaller
      1. Uninstall the AMD driver with Clean and DO NOT RESTART
      2. Uninstall the INTEL driver with Clean and DO NOT RESTART
    4. Reboot to normal mode
      Open msconfig and remove the "Safe boot" tick and reboot and it will boot into normal mode

5. Install latest intel 4600 driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600
    6. After reboot and after intel driver is installed
    7. Install AMD driver https://www.amd.com/en/support/prof...irepro-mobility-series/firepro-m5100-mobility
    8. Reboot

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    blysk likes this.
  9. blysk

blysk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you,

unfortunately, I have a problem:
    I have dual monitors, both the same, connected via DP.
    only one monitor is detected by radeon pro control center.
    only one monitor is detected by Intel control center.

If I play a video in VLC on the left monitor it is fine, if I play on the right it stutters, because the right one is apparently driven by Intel, the left one by the AMD gpu

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Check the BIOS. In the video section there is an option to switch one of the DisplayPorts between discrete and integrated graphics.