The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 + M5100, driver problem from Windows Update, using old AMD DELL official driver?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by blysk, Jan 30, 2020.

1. blysk

blysk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    would that mean, I would have no external display when booting?
    I am using the laptop mainly in the dock, lid closed. 2 external monitors on DP.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You should still have external display when booting. My M6700 will boot off of the dGPU when docked with the lid shut.
    [Edit] Actually I'm not sure about that, you'll have to try it and see. I was thinking that I did it earlier this week but upon further reflection, it was my 7510 docked with the lid shut and it is configured to use the iGPU off of the dock.

3. Laptopf

Laptopf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm aware this is an older thread, but given the fact that it's about an old laptop, it's actually still quite new. :)

In all posts prior to 2020, the consensus seemed to be to avoid the AMD because of numerous stability issues. One quote from Spiceworks pretty much seems to sum it up:

But of course, unnoticed's instructions sound very promising, so I'm curious what the final word is on this (crossing my fingers that anyone is still watching this thread). Untitled, blysk and/or anyone else: If you were to buy a used M4800 today, would you go for the AMD or the Nvidia? As for myself, I wouldn't mind a bit of extra processing power for light gaming, but I definitely wouldn't want to trade that for any of the issues described above (including problems with my docking station).

blysk - are you happy with your choice otherwise? I'm asking because I also haven't quite decided between the M4700 and the M4800 yet. I read about the M4700 being a better build prone to fewer issues, but that was also from a post several years ago (driver issues may have been ironed out by now, or maybe that particular laptop was just a bad apple). As with the graphics card, I wouldn't mind the extra horsepower, but on the other hand I'd pick an error-free environment over a bit of extra power any day.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  4. blysk

blysk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    reporting back because after half a year of flawless work I ran intro troubles again.
    I installed a game, wanted to restart the laptop and it froze.
    Could not start Windows, no repair possible.
    I uninstalled the drivers and was able to start, but no external monitors on the dock.
    I tried a bunch of drivers including unnoticed tutorial, but the laptop hangs up on AMD driver instalation.

as for this:
    I chose the M4800 because of the 4th gen I7 CPU, vs the 3rd gen I7 of the M4700 without spectre fix.
    Will I buy again, probably, I7 32 GB RAM 512 SSD K1100 for 600€ some time ago is a good price for me, and I had the M5100 already around as I had it in my company M4700.
    That being said, I will probably rip out the M5100 and install the Nvidia 1100 again......

€dit:
    replaced M5100 with 1100, newest Nvidia driver install, reboot, works.
    Will not recommend Dell + AMD GPU.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  5. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I too have problems now since last summer.
    I can't install any recent driver.
    If I do so the system will freeze on driver installation, both if leaving it up to Windows update to install everything it will freeeze after 20 minutes or so when it starts downloading and installing the AMD driver.
    And same thing happens if I disable driver updates from Windows update and install drivers manually per instructions to 1 install intel driver first from Dell and 2 then install AMD driver from their website.

The system freeze mid installation and will not move, I tried leaving computer for hours but nothing.
    I have no other choice but to cut power.
    And this is where Windows will never boot again, not even to safe-mode.
    Tested on both Windows 10 20h2 pro, Enterprise, LTSC 1809.17763.1369 and Windows 7 Enterprise updated 2019 and 2017 (old .iso images I have) with the same result.

Newest driver I can install without the installation freezing is

Driver Packaging Version
    18.50.16-190123a-339267C-RadeonProEnterprise2019

Anything newer than this will not install.
    And it turns out switchable graphics doesn't work either.
    The fan runs but there is never any utilization on the card, the fan might run at high rpm on a render but blasting cold air..
    Like in 2010 the new control panel that came with it there no longer is any switchable graphics options, likewise there is not any way for me to force the gpu to be used with a certain program.

I have reported more than ~ten driver updates to AMD none of the newer driver has been any better.
    The outdated AMD driver from Dell website doesn't play well with any software, its just showing tearing and glitches and error messages on any software I run.

I booted into bios and disabled switchable graphics and the speed is amazing.
    The AMD gpu is vastly more powerful than the quadro but I might get the old Nvidia k2100m out and put it back in the laptop.
    The annoying thing about disabling switchable graphics is the same as running Linux on the M4800, the gpu smaller fan never shuts off, it runs permanently on low rpm even if the temp is 47 c.

6. Laptopf

Laptopf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the updates. Haven't bought mine, yet, and will definitely go with NVidea then.