The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's unfortunate... but some Dell laptops support mSATA in WAN slots!

I was curious if this is the case of M4800

2. John Carlson

Reputations:

Man, I think it's worth trying out.

There's a 512GB mSATA mini drive!
    https://www.amazon.com/KingSpec-512...ywords=msata+mini+512gb&qid=1638708280&sr=8-5

The thing is, the manuals of the Dell laptops don't mention that this will work. But people were able to get this to work. They installed mSATA on Dell laptop's WAN card slot and it worked!

If you guys have experimented this on M4800, please let us know.

Ok, I ordered a 24GB mSATA mini card from Kingston for only $30.
    [​IMG]

I'll test it in on my m4800 in about a week.

Here's another guy installing mSATA SSD on WAN card slot of Dell Latitude 5401:

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt.../mSATA-SSD-in-WWAN-slot-in-e7240/td-p/4441260

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  3. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just tested all ports, the small one won't detect any sata drive.
    As in this schematic they are supplied with usb 2.0 repeaters from the main pcie lane indicated in red arrows
    Only the big one has a sata repeater with combined usb 2.0 repeater so you can plug in both an msata drive or a wireless card indicated in green arrow

dell_precision_m4800_vaq10_pt_la-9771p_rev_0.2_x01_r0.2_0115_02.png

The video you linked is a newer Latitude 5401 using the m.2 interface, not mini pcie.
    This port is like on the M4800 a combination port with a switch for pcie and usb 3.0.
    The Toshiba RC100 is connected with pcie.
    LA-H171P_bh_14_cfl-h_uma_mb_a00_20190320.png

Attached Files:

John Carlson likes this.
  4. chaosxu

chaosxu Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, it is for my test now. Work with HDMI, not for VGA, and I think that it works with DP output (not test though).

John Carlson likes this.
  5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    M4800 supports mSATA in the WWAN slot. (That slot has SATA hookup.) It's not a universal thing. "Big brother" M6800 does not support mSATA in the WWAN slot. (It has a separate, dedicated mSATA slot.)

You can try WLAN/Wi-Fi card slot if you like... but I promise that it will not work. :)

John Carlson likes this.
  6. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Mini Card-1 port mentions USB ?

[​IMG]

What does that mean?
    Can I add PCI-e to SDXC adapter to this port then?? or PCI-e to USB adapter?

There's a PCI-e to micro SD adapter:
    [​IMG]

If the PCI-e port can accept that, I can add two 512GB microSD cards into this adapter.
    I'm asking because the Express Card slot next to it mentions about USB... if that's the only thing that it needs to connect, then the PCI-E port could work with the PCI-E to microSD adapter?

or how about this PCIe to USB card??
    [​IMG]

I can add it and then plug in a 512GB USB flash drive from PNY:
    https://www.amazon.com/PNY-512GB-El...gb+usb+flash+drive+mini&qid=1638719945&sr=8-3

7. chaosxu

chaosxu Newbie

Reputations:
    You can search on bay, only one guy sells Adlink mxm card. Maybe you can ask him in private. I bought it from.

BTW, I tracked keyword "mxm" for quite a long time. Finally, I found it and got it.

Be careful, it only works with HDMI in discrete mode, internal monitor will be blank also.

3Dmark Time Spy test score 3396.

tyrell_corp and John Carlson like this.
  8. John Carlson

Reputations:
  9. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, you can plug anything usb into those slots no matter if its connected to a different connector like mini-pcie as long as it is
    full usb interface, not a pcie converter> usb.
    The only limiting factor is space, being able to fit the converter module and anything hooked up to it.

The tekit has a control board on the underside, an Alcor AU6472.
    Product description is "USB2.0 Multi-LUN Flash Card Reader Controller"
    https://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=AU6472
    Product information:
    http://www.hwtools.net/CardReader/MR15.html

619NM9O8vyL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    I think this would work. It look small enough to fit in either of the small ports.

John Carlson likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Some mPCIe slots support both PCIe and USB traffic. Wi-Fi cards utilize this — the Wi-Fi part uses PCIe data transfer and the Bluetooth part uses USB data transfer. (You can check this if you go to Device Manager, and look at "Devices by connection" — the Wi-Fi adapter will be hooked to the PCH's PCIe bus, and the Bluetooth adapter will be hooked to the system's USB controller.) You can "exploit" this to do interesting things with something like the mPCIe-to-USB adapter that you linked. There's no reason that you couldn't use any USB (2.0) device this way, other than physical/space constraints of course. For a larger USB device you might be able to find a "flat" extension cable and put the actual USB device somewhere else in the system where there is more space. Most (all?) microSD adapters like you have pictured also will utilize the USB function and thus only function in mPCIe slots that have a USB hookup.

On the subject of interesting mPCIe adapters, you can also look at my thread on attaching a M.2/NGFF Wi-Fi card to the M6700. I'm still using my M6700 with a NGFF Intel AX200 card.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-m4x00-m6x00-my-experience-with-m6700.821863/

John Carlson likes this.