The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. tyrell_corp

tyrell_corp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

its a gap issue I suspect the die on T1000 is as low or lower than k1100m and or m5100, you need copper mid in sink protruding downwards to touch the die effectively. you may as well need to get your thermal pads to be right size, dell spongy green type are quite flexible in that regard but not as effective as Gelid 15 Wm/k.

now HOW where did you get that card man? I am not seeing any easy way to get it yet.

from your photo I can see edges and corner on die are both chipped, you sure its not a dud?

[/QUOTE]

2. M4980

M4980 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for the info, I suppose I’ll get an amd heatsink then. i have 2.5mm and 2.0mm 12.8w/mk thermal pads too so that should be fine.
    I got the card from secondhand Taobao (Xianyu) a while ago and got it shipped through middleman service (superbuy), i dont think theres any other way

And ye i see the chips on the die :eek:
    not looking good, hope its fine?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  3. M4980

Reputations:
    does anyone know if I can use a 2.0mm or 2.5mm thermal pad on the die area instead of getting the AMD heatsink? its 12.8w/mK thermal pads which is same transfer as thermal paste

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  4. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don't. You gonna need something way thinner, sub mm like paper thin.
    Thermal pads above 10 w/mK are stiff, they don't compress very good, it will just break apart like dry dough
    If you need a shim, buy a set of thin copper shims in increments of; sheet roll, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5mm.

If you need guidance, try dry mounting the heatsink to the pcb and sandwich a feeler gauge between the die and heatsink.
    Start with the thinnest and go up in thickness until you have good contact.

I would rather buy the amd heatsink.
    https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=20134

[​IMG]

5. M4980

Reputations:
    thanks for the info man.
    I checked my heatsink and it had a raised copper shim thingy on die area, looked like it would make sufficient contact
    it's installed fine and working! :)
    however, temperatures are not looking so good.
    seems like the hot spot raises indefinitely (this took a few minutes of Heaven benchmark)
    maybe it needs to be raised with a 0.2mm shim (or perhaps the dingy little m4800 gpu heatsink isnt cut out for this)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  6. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got a picture of how it looks installed? I feel you may need some extra copper "extensions" along with the AMD heatsink.

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Eh, at speeds pushing 2 GHz, high 80's temp in a laptop GPU would be pretty normal I think. Especially an old one with a "small" heatsink like this. Fastest NVIDIA GPU for the M4800 at launch ran at ≈700 MHz. (Technically the GPU should be fine even in the 90's and would throttle if it needed to.) Did you run it any longer than that? Does the temperature level off?

[Edit]
    I was paying attention to "GPU temperature" and not "hot spot". Upper 90's is a little scary.

8. M4980

Reputations:
    nope, i didn't take any pics but i'll open the laptop again and do that some time soon

Nope, i stopped it straight after that screenshot, I think it would have kept rising even with the fans running at full tilt it seemed.

Ye, it also doesn't really make sense to me, the FirePro M5100 I had in this laptop previously was a similar TDP I believe, about 50w power consumption so they should be comparable in temperatures. Think the extra shim is required, contact with the die must be poor

9. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's my M5100 running Heaven Benchmark 4.0 all in max in opengl, ran it for ~15 min.
    (not entirely sure about GPU load, can't get it to use 100%, it fluctuates between 100% and 66%)

m5100_Heaven Benchmark 4.0.png

Furmark does better at GPU Load, same result. ~52 - 53c.

m5100_Furmark.png

M4980 likes this.
  10. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GREAT NEWS guys!!

I have received the dual micro SD to PCIe adapter.

[​IMG]

I added a 512 GB Lexar micro SD card and 200 GB Sandisk micro SD card to the adapter.
    And I removed the original wifi card, added this dual micro SD adapter inside my M4800.

[​IMG]

My laptop could recognize both micro SD cards as USB drives!
    They're now my new internal storage!

[​IMG]

I tested file transfer speed. I get 17 MB/s on the Lexar micro SD card. This is good enough for storing movies and hi-res music.

I can add up to 1TB per each micro SD card slot:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Compatible-Nintendo-Switch-Smartphones-LMSPLAY001T-BNNNU/dp/B08T8LL7G8/ref=sxin_15_ac_d_mf_br?ac_md=3-2-TGV4YXI=-ac_d_mf_br_br&cv_ct_cx=1tb+micro+sd+card&keywords=1tb+microsd+card&pd_rd_i=B08T8LL7G8&pd_rd_r=2b50d18b-39ea-444f-b528-b47171949df1&pd_rd_w=E1irZ&pd_rd_wg=6FFpk&pf_rd_p=17756b3a-4504-468b-830d-8b5875afd168&pf_rd_r=0SRVR9Q4WSQ2RMR4HDEZ&psc=1&qid=1640231168&sr=1-3-ed8a42d3-65f1-4884-a3a2-0dd6e83b6876

However, only one of the PCIe card slots will work with the dual micro SD adapter.
    I had to use the wifi card's WAN slot. The other slot didn't recognize the adapter.

M4980 likes this.