The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use 240W adapter. Other lower W adapters will make your m4800 slower.
    I don't use undervoltage tweaks. I use it as is... you can experiment with it for sure.

it's not lowered to 1600.

2. artur1884

artur1884 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys what do you think if it is good idea to
    well thanks a lot you got me convinced . I also already checked compatibility with hackintosh, seems like it gonna work !

3. John Carlson

Reputations:
  4. artur1884

Reputations:
    Wow now I see, much obliged. At least from this moment I got hope that my work with VST plugins will be performed quicker due to higher multiplier comparing to 4910MQ. My main fear of overheating was throttling, which leads to loosing performance. What benefit from having 4940 then if it will be lowered by overheating !)

my previous laptop was Dell Latitude 5480 with i7-7820HQ on the board, first I thought this was a piece of art, but unfortunatelly it was dramatically heating. I had to sell it and now I need smth with strong cooling sys. Thats why I got my eye on M4800

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  5. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what voltage the 4810MQ runs at, but it might be what I'm looking for. I get about 80 full speed if it gets any higher than 2.8GHz. I might have to reseat my CPU heatsink, and maybe consider a different thermal paste even.

6. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sure it would be a good fit for your use case.
    Thermal Grizzly just released a new thermal paste, Kryonaut extreme
    https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/359-kryonaut-extreme-en

Maybe you could give a review of it?

I also changed and put extra thermal pads on the vrm and other components nearby.
    With stock pads you will run into power thermal limit even with a 4810MQ due to those components overheating.
    It has been documented pages back in this thread I believe.
    https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/13-minus-pad-8-en

7. artur1884

Reputations:
    greetings, @unnoticed, as I understand from previous posts, even with Delta Fans and using Kryonaut TP – you still get hot CPU temperatures on heavy load with 4940MX smth around 90-95 C . If that's correct, my question is – how often do you personally face temperatures so hot during daily work? and could you suggest what kind of scenarios may lead to CPU getting so hot? I mean is this any type of serious problem that one should avoid before spending money on 4940MX, or vice-versa it happens rarely comparing to its general performance and CPU worth buying?

in other words, is it capable to perform at its best long before getting 90c ?
    thanks

8. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    haha holy ****, yttrium and his stupid ThinkMods vaporware BTFO by the Chinese. Can you boot off said NVMe adapter?

Speaking of 4940MX: why not try undervolting?

John Carlson likes this.
  9. John Carlson

Reputations:
    I hope Dell will make E-Port Plus III with 10 USB 3.0 ports.
    two USB 3.0 ports on my deck are not enough.

10. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not gonna happen, they discontinued the dock ports with a reason.

John Carlson likes this.