The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    CLASSIF1ED likes this.
  2. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, interesting. Don't exactly have a use case for such a thing but cool nonetheless.

John Carlson likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    2242, so it should fit.

John Carlson likes this.
  4. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Do you guys think that it's possible to get full SSD performance out of the Express Card slot & Express Card to NVMe adapter?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    No. ExpressCard just provides one PCIe lane. Modern systems with NVMe ports use four PCIe lanes. So, starting with one quarter the speed off of the ExpressCard slot.

Also, ExpressCard runs at PCIe 2.0 max, and PCIe 3.0 is the norm for NVMe (there are even some PCIe 4 drives out now). Each new version of PCIe doubles the bandwidth, so going from PCIe3 to PCIe2 means cutting the bandwidth in half.

So, PCIe3 NVMe drive in an ExpressCard enclosure will run at one eighth of the speed that it would in a modern system PCIe3 NVMe slot.

John Carlson likes this.
  6. John Carlson

Reputations:

According to the Sabrent webiste, their 2242 NVMe card can reach 2500 MB/s speed.

Does that means, we can get 2500 / 8 = 312 MB/s speed ??
    That's still pretty fast! :p

https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...less-low-power-internal-high-performance-ssd/

7. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. John Carlson

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

After switching to 4940MX CPU, now my fans turn on when I use software like Android Studio.
    My CPU usage is around 45% when android studio is running.
    But my laptop is not hot at all...
    How can I manually turn off fans?
    I think it can turn on when the CPU usage hits 65% or 75%... not 45%.

The fans are quite noisy.

9. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use DellFanManagement
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dellfanmanagement-dellfankeepalive-–-tools-for-managing-the-fan-speed-in-dell-laptops.833340/page-13#post-11123326

That's the sad part about using this cpu, or putting a more powerful cpu in this laptop.
    EC keep the fan spinning with its own mind in long period of times before revving down despite the temperature being only 60-65c.
    There seem to be no fan curve's or any intelligent fan control based on real time temperature like in other brands like HP or Thinkpad.
    Fan control is primitive at best, only three level of control.
    I mostly run the fans on medium even for hard loads, temps are just fine 86-87c unless you have all cores fully loaded

John Carlson likes this.
  10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You can also disable turbo boost when you don't need it to keep the CPU cooler & fans down.
    * Go to Windows advanced power settings and set maximum CPU frequency to 99%.
    * Make sure power slider (click the battery taskbar icon) is set to the *middle*.
    Ta-da. Turbo boost is disabled. To enable it just move the power slider to the right.
    (...Then what's the point of buying the faster CPU? Still, I normally keep turbo boost off with this method when I'm not running a CPU-heavy workload.)

John Carlson likes this.