The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. changt34x

changt34x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The skewed keyboard and track pad is quite annoying and I do wish they left off the number pad too. I have never had a computer with one so the lack of symmetry is quite weird.

If you could check whether it has Optimus that would be a real help for some of us. Pretty much just update to bios A03 and see if there is a switchable graphics tab under video in the bios. Also check in windows under device manager whether both the Intel graphics show up (or you can use gpuz or hwinfo). If it isnt there, see if you can install the Intel graphics driver successfully.

Hopefully you will have the first m4800 I have heard of with optimus!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2. Steven90

Steven90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the M4800 with QHD+ and K2100m here, running on A03 bios, Windows 8.1. Under device management only the K2100m comes up. Video tab in Bios only shows brightness. Also tried the latest graphics drivers from Intel. It refuses to install, saying computer does not meet minimum requirements for installing software.
    Anyway here is a calibrated icc profile for the Sharp screen. Calibrated at 6500K, 120nits (3 spaces from lowest brightness in Windows 8.1)
    View attachment M4800_D65_120nits.zip

tyrell_corp likes this.
  3. changt34x

Reputations:
    Thanks, thats the exact same result I have been seeing. Unfortunately there don't seem to be that many people with this configuration and M4800 that plan on using it as a everyday portable laptop as well, so I still have the only open support case about this "issue" (real issue is they don't even know if it is supposed to support Optimus). Hopefully in the next week more people will report it and Dell might actually address it.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    The M4800 landing page says it supports Optimus and Enduro. Also according to one of the members here, the M3800 supports optimus and confirmed it working. The M3800 has a K1100M and QHD+ screen, so I think ours will support it too. I think we just need to wait for a bios update. The A03 bios did update the intel vbios it seems, but it looks like Optimus still doesn't work. Maybe A04 or A05 will fix it. :thumbsup:

5. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Anyone else using Win 8? I just updated the BIOS and now the machine is not waking up from sleep - the screen just stays black. Doing some web searches shows that other people have had similar issues with other machines from a variety of manufacturers.

6. miamicanes

miamicanes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm running Win7, but I'm having the same problem, and I think it began after I allowed Dell system update to install something yesterday evening (I thought it was just installing an update relating to Dell Data Protection, whatever that is). Ever since then, it seems to go to sleep if I allow the screen to power down the display, then nothing besides a hard shutdown and restart can wake it back up. I supposedly have it set to NOT go to sleep or suspend whenever it's on AC, so if it IS, it's ignoring my Windows setting.

About every 15 minutes, I'm seeing errors like this in EventViewer's Windows/Application log:

I also saw 8 messages (one per core/hyperthread) like this one about an hour ago:

I'm also seeing periodic warnings like this one, which might correlate to the sleep problem:

The dll itself is C:\Windows\system32\nvinitx.dll, which one post I saw (it's hard to wade through all the thinly-veiled malware-laden posts urging you to download their trojan fix) seems to suggest is a nVidia DLL.

At one point about 2 hours ago, I had a REALLY weird alert that my battery had only 25% remaining... but it's been plugged in since I got home from work yesterday, and 2 seconds later, everything updated itself and said the battery was 100%. [update: this was actually a notification about my Logitech G700 mouse's battery that I didn't recognize, because it looked different than it used to on my old laptop]

I *do* have Optimus listed as an option, but how would I actually verify whether it's working or being used?

7. changt34x

Reputations:
    I think this has something to do with the recent QNF Quadro driver, getting similar errors intermittently on my E6410. I would either update drivers to the WHQL new ones (haven't tried yet) or downgrade further back (which I did, and is now working properly). For the other error, it may be a one time thing only. Every electronic with a rechargeable battery I have owned does that sometimes.

To check for Optimus, first make sure you are on BIOS A03. Then see if in the BIOS has switchable graphics under video. If it doesn't, go back into Windows and check device manager and HWinfo for any sign of the intel GPU (should be listed with the quadro). If all of these fail, see if you can install the intel drivers.

8. changt34x

Reputations:
    Yeah I hope so. Systems around me are draining to 50% in 2 hours during meetings, which is power saver+low brightness+a microsoft word document open. My return period expires in 2 weeks (and thanks to shipping I still haven't gotten it yet), so if they don't update the BIOS soon (which I think should fix it), I am in a predicament to return it or not because I need just 6 hours light use. I am sure the W540 will deliver about double that, but Lenovo support...

9. changt34x

Reputations:
    Actually just picked up my M4800 from the Fedex hub, confirmed pretty much all complaints/praises above, but now there is a new problem. I put the computer to sleep, came back 10 minutes later, woke it, and boom no more wifi card recognized. Restarted the computer and still no wifi card. Shut down the computer, turned it back on, and wifi card appears. Then I put it to sleep/woke it repeatedly and after the 5th time no more wifi card. Any of you have this? I'm on the Dell 1601 with a 4800MQ, k2100m, and QHD+.

For the record, this is EXACTLY the same problem (http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/683913-t430-wifi-defective.html) I had with the T430 and Intel 6300 (returned for this reason), which to this day still has not been resolved even on new systems.

10. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    I haven't run into that issue. This is with the stock Win7 install that came with it?