The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

M4800 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by changt34x, Oct 29, 2013.

1. changt34x

changt34x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Were you ever able to get the old Wifi card working again or have you replaced it with the replacement Dell sent? Also, did the Bluetooth disconnection disappear as well and do you know if putting the computer to sleep causes it to disappear? I am more hopeful this time because in my case it is more likely a problem with the 1601 (which I was going to get rid of eventually anyway) and Dell does not whitelist wifi cards like lenovo so we have a lot of options.

2. Steven90

Steven90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I contacted dell support and have them ship me a separate wifi card. I just tried putting the old one back on and it doesn't show up under device monitor-network adapters, even with the correct drivers installed. If dell does not limit the cards we might see people putting the new batch of 801.11ac cards on. I can already see drivers for the 7260 on dell support website.

3. AlbertoP

AlbertoP Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I received my M4800 with i7-4800MQ / 8GB RAM 1600MHz / K1100M. It is working nicely but I'd like to put some more RAM on it (maybe 8 or 16GB more).

Could someone recommend a brand / model of RAM? I think it is ok to add 16 GB of PC3-12800 for a total of 24 GB right?

Thanks!

4. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    You'll get the best performance if you use 4 sticks of the same size (i.e. 4 6 GB sticks) instead of 2 at 4 GB and 2 at 8 GB.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you're going to mix and match different modules, it's important to make sure the CL rating is the same, otherwise you might end up being bumped down to 1333 MHz. (The easiest way to do this is to just use four of the same module.) You can use CPU-Z to get the specs on the modules you currently have installed.

Anyway, I've been using Corsair in the M6700 and have no issues. Crucial and Kingston are also good. In the end, RAM is RAM, as long as it works, it's fine. Check reviews on whatever you buy and make sure other people like it.

6. wogs

wogs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've always had good luck with Crucial RAM. If you go directly to their website, (RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com), you can enter in the make/model of your machine and they will tell you which RAM to buy.

7. Steven90

Steven90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine came with 2 samsung sticks. The memory slot specifically states Low Voltage, which is 1.35V and marked as DDR-3L. Be sure to note that when you are purchasing the ram.

8. AlbertoP

AlbertoP Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, it seems the ram is CL11, low voltage.

I think I'll go for 2x8GB "Crucial CT2C8G3S160BM DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V"

Thanks!

9. einhander

einhander Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    are all four slots underneath or is two of the ram slot underneath the keyboard?

10. changt34x

changt34x Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2 are under the keyboard, if your system only came with 2 DIMMs installed, the bottom ones should be free.