The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

New M6500 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Quido, Dec 1, 2009.

1. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps your replacing battery is DOA? Just my guess.

Just an FYI. The M6500 is very picky with rams, especially those 8GB per stick rams that you are getting to achieve 32GB of rams for your system. I personally went through it all before and I still have that M6500 up and running.

2. Judicator

Judicator Judged and found wanting.

Reputations:
    940xm over the 920xm (although the difference will probably be negligible), covet case if you like the brilliant orange look, edge to edge glass screen covering of the covet (which should also come with the RGB screen), and built in fingerprint reader (which you may or may not be able to get working). I think that's most of it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

3. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    32GB is the sweet spot! There is not much difference between the 920XM versus 940XM. If you already have the 920XM save your money for something else. My M6500 started out with the 940XM, so it saved me the hassle of upgrading.

Quadro 5000M are extremely rare these days. Even if you find one, the price is a ripoff! Just not worth it IMHO. Stick with the M7820, I have one in mine and it runs pretty cool as compared to the 5000M (you can cook at egg on it). Unless you want a FX3800M (or maybe a FX2800M? :p) which I do have one lying somewhere! :)

The BT card in the screen is pretty old, IIRC it is BT v2.0? I recommend going with the 7260AC + BT (better choice in your situation) or 9260AC + BT (with M.2 to Mini PCIe adaptor, a forum member did a guide on it) but the latter choice means you will lose your WWAN capability as the adaptor uses the WWAN slot. I have the 7260AC + BT in my M6500 and it works great! I've disabled the BT card, in the screen, in Windoze.

Why don't you go with the DW5630 WWAN instead? It's a much better card and I have it in my M6500. I have a guide somewhere here on this forum which will allow the card drivers to be installed in ANY Dell laptop with a WWAN slot.

Optical drives are not necessary these days. I have an Optical HDD caddy instead for an extra 2TB HDD storage capability.

pierro78 and ygohome like this.
  4. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    A replacement motherboard shouldn't be expensive.

5. DynamiteZerg

Reputations:
    Should be able to. I have one lying around and I can sell it to you if you want.

6. rlabbe

rlabbe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know which type of security cable lock connector would work with the M6500? Looking for a simple way to lock the laptop during hotel stay keeping in mind one could easily break it or cut the cable but a deterrent for the most part. Not sure what type of slot the M6500 uses so as to know compatibility with the locks. Thanks!

7. EdgeDC

EdgeDC Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that M6500, and most (if not all) other Dell laptops that have a security lock slot, use the Kensington design.

https://www.kensington.com/c/products/security/

For example, look at the compatibility list in the link below:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsdr&cs=04s2&sku=A3568464

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. mick00

mick00 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All, ;)

I am a new buyer of the M6500 :D

I have, from time to time, the office that remains frozen, forced to force the restart ... someone can tell me what causes this? I am no clue (no blue screen for doing my quiz) of what causes it.

Thank you's

9. mick00

mick00 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi User32, :vbthumbsup:
    not PowerMizer the my computer
    I'used Power Manager Dell. not option Power Mizer.

Power Manager not found .Because not battery for my M6500 (is not found ,no rechargin) :oops:

Cordiality my friend

10. mick00

mick00 Newbie

Reputations: