The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

New M6500 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Quido, Dec 1, 2009.

1. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oops actually the Windows SpaceDesk Viewer app is much better on CPU than the HTML5 Viewer in linux ... maybe I won't need one more hardware card ;) ...

Now I just need to remember how I silenced the fans a little on this old Dell M6500 under Windows ... they are much more audible on Windows than on linux ...
    ... could you folks please help me with silencing my fans under windows on this Dell M6500 i7 640M Nvidia Quadro FX 2800M ??

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    just answering to myself : I apparently https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/dell-precision-m6600-fan-control-support.434/ found a way to control my fans (but only to 2500 or 4900rpm) with HWiNFO64 but it's a bit convoluted as it implies first going to a secret engineering mode to disable the bios fan control .. anyway it seems to work (I've let my both fans at 2500rpm as its not too noisy and fire them at 4900rpm when temperature is over 80C)

PS :
    adding that SpeedFan may also work (especially after adding Dell support in Configuration -> Options)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  3. High_Order1

High_Order1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi! Just bought one of these to use at work. Got tired of researching semi ruggeds, and spun the wheel on this. Currently I am researching:
    -bluetooth. I need headphones, mouse, and potentially the ability to video conference. Better to use a factory item, or foam tape something newer with more capabilities (and range)?
    -webcam. I see two are available, one is also used in the studio series. Which is better?
    - Precision Touchpad. Researching how to bring this to life past the basic Windows driver.
    - Win 10. (sigh) That's what came on it, I'm going to try and make it work.
    - PrecisionON button. Is there anything else useful I can map it to?
    - Card reader. Anyone ever get this going in a win10 environment?

Like I said, I'm using google to search this thread, but if there's anything you can toss me off the top of your head, I'd appreciate it!

pierro78 likes this.
  4. High_Order1

High_Order1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, guess I will chronicle my work here for others.
    -Looking at the 7260. Appears there are different versions, and... what do the antenna ports plug into when you are adding it to a system it wasn't designed for?
    - What are the best drivers for each of the components in the Win10 operating environment?
    - If you aren't using the usb-based bluetooth connector in the lid now due to the 7260, can you hang a usb-connected GPS back in that lid somewhere and fab a flat cable to run it from that now-empty port?

More as I learn it

Edited: no reason to add a post, I suppose
    -Can I add, say a 4G WWAN, and just use GPS without provisioning the card onto a network?
    -Is it satellite-based positioning, or cellular tower only?

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    pierro78 likes this.
  5. AngryXPS

AngryXPS Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally picked up a memory upgrade for my dual-core M6500. Quick dumb question. I know these laptops with a quad-core I7 have 4 memory slots in 2 different places.

Are the 2 memory slots for the dual-core systems the ones under the keyboard, or the 2 accessed by removing the bottom panel used to get at the hard drives?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The two on the back are the main memory slots that are usable with dualcore i5 and i7's.

7. AngryXPS

AngryXPS Newbie

Reputations:
    So I need to pull off the lower cover to do swap the 2GB sticks for the 4GB ones. Didn't look too bad when I was looking on YouTube.

Pretty much everything out there in terms of guides and videos is not surprisingly for quad-core systems, so I wasn't sure.

Many thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk