The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You might have had an IPS display?

If so you might have to swap it for a different panel

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you have the IPS display, I'm pretty sure you can't replace it with a different panel. Pretty sure it has a different display connector type than the ordinary (TN) display, and, Dell actually produced two different motherboard variants with different display connectors depending on which display you ordered.

Indeed, the IPS display can only be used with NVIDIA GPUs in this generation.

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    IIRC the m6600 mobo had both connectors, I havent actually looked to confirm what the m4600 has but I would wager against it...

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, the M6600 had a single motherboard variant with both connectors.

5. shaolin95

shaolin95 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I guess this confirms that since I have IPS, the current 2000M is as good as it gets for me.

6. Lawlessness1221

Lawlessness1221 Newbie

Reputations:
    As far as the firepro m5100 goes? Yes. Unless you don't really care for having the dispaly on your laptop work while using it. What I mean is, you can use the card and it WILL work, you just cant see anything unless you plug your laptop into an external monitor. And you have to make sure you have the 0p854t heatsink in your laptop. By the way, if ANYONE on here wants to buy my firepro m5100, heres the link, Best offer gets it. Obviously I'm selling cheaper than what I got it for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122364876602?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

7. shaolin95

Reputations:
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Kind of sad as this laptop is so fast CPU wise but then again, I just use it for retro gaming so it is doing REALLY good so far. Just that I always wanted to make things as good as possible. :)

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its either that or gamble on an m2000m, still too expensive for most to justify though, including myself.

9. shaolin95

Reputations:
    Yep too much $$$ at this time when I dont really NEED it. :)

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    When it comes down to around 250 I may take the chance unless someone else confirms it ahead of me.

shaolin95 likes this.