The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Jack2

Jack2 Newbie

Reputations:
    As far as fan operation, I have had no difficulty. At normal voltage, I tend to hit the high 60s or so. My driver is 15.201.2701, A09, and it appears to control the GPU fan quite well. I applied a fresh coat of paste during install but reused the thermal pads (and heatsink) from the Quadro.

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys!
    So I got pretty lucky and scored this M4600 from a local guy that was selling at $250 first then $190 and finally sold it to me for $160. Guess people here want slim small laptops. :D
    Mine came with:
    2860QM
    16GB RAM
    256GB SSD + 750GB HDD
    Quadro 2000M
    DVD drive
    The screen I think it is the IPS but not sure. It is 1080 and shows the 10bit option in the Nvidia Control Panel. Any way to know for sure?
    I guess that means as far as GPU, I have the best I will be able to use then, right?
    I got it mostly for higher end retro gaming and it flies...it is surely a beast of a laptop.
    For the money I paid (also got the Dell dock and AC for it), I cant ask for anything else.

alexhawker likes this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The M5100 is the best confirmed gpu with the m2000m being unconfirmed still. Still too expensive to risk I guess.

4. shaolin95

Reputations:
    Oh yeah the M5100 seems great but if I have IPS, at least it was my understanding that it wouldnt work for me.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I dunno about all that, never cared enough to look into it. I was running the m1000 before and now running the m5100.

There is always the m2000m but no one has tried it yet in the m4600, it works in the m4800 and m4700. Just needs custom inf driver from what I understand.

6. t3mulligan

t3mulligan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Shoot! Sorry, didn't see this reply email. I barely go on this site. I TOTALLY forgot that I also had this problem. When I play games or need performance, I manually turn the fans up. I use hwinfo(probably a better alternative, but this is what works for me.) You open hwinfo, launch stats, theres a fan icon at the bottom, change them both to 100%, change the respin time to 100ms, and click set manual on each fan. When you are done, change them both back to system managed.

7. Lawlessness1221

Lawlessness1221 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I followed this thread pretty closely.
    I had the quadro 1000m with the 0p854t heatsink.
    My BIOS is A16
    I bought the AMD m5100
    I installed it and it fit perfectly. Put everything back together and now when my machine starts up, i get nothing but a black screen. NOTHING is displaying.
    Did I miss something? Was I suppose to install AMD drivers BEFORE installing it?
    Can anyone help me out?
    I even took everything back apart and made sure the card was FULLY in before testing it again and I get the same thing?
    Anyone know what could be causing this?

8. shaolin95

Reputations:
    You do not even see the boot logo and BIOS screen???
    Does yours have the IPS panel by any chance?
    Are you able to test HDMI with a TV or monitor?

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I couldnt get it to work under Windows 7, 8, 8.1 but for what ever reason it likes Windows 10. But thats just how I got past that. Though personally I was able to see BIOS splash it was loading Windows that was the hurdle for me...

10. Lawlessness1221

Lawlessness1221 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I figured it out. It WAS the display. I connected it to a monitor and it's working fine. I guess the only way to fix that is with a different display for my laptop? Suggestions? By the way, I kind of need a display for it because I only use this machine to record/stream gameplay from my consoles. I also render 1080p 60fps videos. I use my actual monitor for the gaming and the laptop for recording.