The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. garmac

garmac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

Just got the K2200M card. I can confirm it's a MXM type A card (Shorter than the B) and it fits in the M4600. Unfortunately I does not work. I am able to boot the laptop but I get a Intel Management error 207 from the Bios and afterwards the laptop boots to Windows 7 and blue screen. Now someone has reported the same issue with the K2000M they tried to install in their M4600. Since the K2200M is confirmed to work with the M4700 I will use the K2200M for it and I will test the M4600 with the K2000M that comes from the M4700 I have. If somehow the Intel management error 207 is resolved with the K2000M, there is a good chance the K2200M would work as well... I looked in the Bios to try and disable AMT and could not find anything to turn off for that...

2. RobNL73

RobNL73 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tx Garmac, your testing saved me about 200 Euros, assume you had bios A16 installed prior to swap?
    Still, I am anxious to see what kind of 3d03 & 3d06 scores this card is capable of.
    If you can drop us a line here, it would be highly appreciated, or to my private mail: rgck14 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

3. Lnd27

Lnd27 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    same problem with geforce 780m in dell 6600m:(

4. garmac

garmac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    here are the results from the test on my M4700 with 3740QM and the K2200M.

Attached Files:

5. RobNL73

Reputations:
    Thank you, Garmac.
    That equals the score of my MSI Aio (3720QM & 8970M).
    Just did a test on my M4600 with M5100, to compare, seems K2200M is roughly 50% faster!
    How were your temps?

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17752219

6. Commissioner Anthony

Commissioner Anthony Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    started post in wrong thread. sorry.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  7. t3mulligan

t3mulligan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow. Extremelyy excited to have found this thread; I can't believe I have other options besides the 2000m!! I have a quadro 1000m in my m4600 and it stinks for games. I just need playable framerate for a couple of lower end games. Anyway -- Just have a couple of questions:

RobNL73, have you tried using the dock? I plan to use 3 external monitors for work, not for games, I would just utilize one of the monitors while playing any games and maybe leave web browsers/irc/email on the other displays. Does the m4000 or the m5100 work normally with multiple monitors using the dock? Also, do you have any idea on which outputs work? Do I need all three on the displayport? Or can I use vga/dvis?

With the quadro 1000m I am required to use vga for the first monitor, and then can use the dvi outputs, or the displayport on the dock (dp 1.2) using mst to power two more.. Dells website also says you must use at least one on the dp, and two if you want the third external display, for the firepro line.. I am wondering if the same rules apply with the other two firepros(m4000 and m5100) in the m4600.

Also, Rob, you mentioned its plug and play if you have the m5950, since I'm coming from a quadro, do I need to purchase another type of heatsink/pads?

Any other issues I should know about before ordering the m4000 or m5100?

Thanks so much for posting your findings thus far. I am extremely excited. Thanks in advance!!! -Tim

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  8. Lnd27

Lnd27 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. RobNL73

Reputations:
    Using the dock, T3.

However, with me, the dock creates lag when trying to game on extern monitor through HDMI, half a second, or so.

Please be aware that not all futures might work, haven't tested myself, as for gaming I only use my M4600 screen, due to the above...

As for heatsink concerned, am not sure whether the heatsinks for the green and red camp are interchangeable.

But they don't cost and arm and a leg, many are to be had rather cheap on ebay, or similar.

Ordering new pads might be an idea, I did not do it, as the pads were still ok, but I did repaste.

What's your location?

10. t3mulligan

t3mulligan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ahh, hmm, well that won't work. I guess I need to decide between the m5950 and the 2000m; or maybe I'll try getting a m4000 and resell it if I don't have any luck.

Half of a second seems like a large delay, I wonder what the issue could be. You had the issue with both the 4000 and 5100?

What is green and red camp? Also couldn't figure out how to identify which heatsink was which on ebay.

I'm located in the US, near Detroit.

p.s. I will have an extra quadro 1000m and an i7 2620m which will be of no use to me later this week hopefully :), if someone is interested in paying shipping I don't need any $ for them.