The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @TheReciever
    #1 SPD will be shown on next reboot
    #2 To remove XMP Profiles you can open RWEverything >> Access >> DIMM SPD, then read SPD of the DIMM you want to edit, go to lane B0 and put zeroes till the end, then click write button. Or you can edit first line of the dump in text editor so it would look like the first line from the files you've flashed - after that, format would ok to flash without the problem.
    #3 To boot with "bad XMP" stick, you need to put in one stick that have no XMP on it at all. Preferably at the bottom A slot.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Alright thanks for the tip! Ill edit the ASINT sticks after I wake up so I can eventually edit the other older sticks. Im not too worried about it anymore, rescheduled my appointment for tomorrow.

The 2133mhz ram I have will eventually go to the y510p anyways so I dont mind for it to not have any ram at the moment. Plus I can finally run dual channel and not mix mode (if thats a thing in the m4600)

3. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever

So, what was the result with XMP mod? What memory dimms were stable and what XMP was used?:) I need to collect such an info:)

BTW, I'm investigating nvidia upgrade issue on this laptop. Again xD

P.S. I've updated my tb2bin with dump/flash/erase support. So now managing XMPs is super easy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    @valuxin

I havent been able to work on the laptop, and it may be a little bit before I can again, at the very latest though I can work on the laptop again beginning of July I've got 3 courses and a dissertation to wrap up by the end of the month.

Ill try and work on this tomorrow when I wake up, prepping to take a physics exam hopefully soon. since C7 doesnt work ill probably try C8 w/ command rate 1T

Just have to give up an hour of sleep to make up the time :) but ill get to it, just juggling a lot of things and messing with RAM, just not too familiar with RWEverything beyond your tutorial.

I want to get the 2860qm so I can use 1600Mhz ram now lol

5. valuxin

Reputations:
    @TheReciever

Ok, got it:) I hope I'll find the solution on running nvidia gpu on our systems till you back to "business":)

BTW, the RWEverything is not needed anymore (almost). Tutorial have been updated:)

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Passing my physics exam in a day or two would certainly help things lol, but I dont want to pay for another semester, school is expensive.

I certainly want to get the 965m 4GB and im sure it would be the last upgrade if it were to ever to work in the m4600. Though its PnP with a modded .inf for the m4800

I took the #1 spot on userbenchmark for the m5100, but still need to get the 2860qm and modded timings + 1600Mhz RAM if Im to conquer the m4600 leader board lol, looking forward to it!

7. valuxin

Reputations:
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Oh wow, I didnt think they remembered that they even offered this model laptop lol

Are you testing with your m2000m by chance?

9. valuxin

Reputations:
    Yeah, it was kinda surprise for me that they have released the ME update... While HP did that 2 month ago lol xD

As I said, nothing have changed in the system BIOS. I've tried booting into the w10 - still the same.

BUT... before I found this new BIOS, I've found the way to bring this damn new nvidia cards support back:)))) Actually, I'm running benchmarks on my M4600 with M2000M on board:)))) Screens come soon:))

Reciever likes this.
  10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Oh happy days!

Look forward to the screen shots! We'll at least you shouldn't have to back peddle any progress because of changes made from an update