The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First one:)

Attached Files:

Reciever likes this.
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Oh how exciting! What kind of Valley score can you get?

You think it would be difficult to get the 965m working since its part of the same graphics family? Im not sure in the process of how you got that m2000m working lol

m2000m is basically a 4GB 860m/960m right?

3. valuxin

Reputations:
    The main task is to "turn on" support for the new cards. It's sad, that even my old Acer on Core 2 Duo running this M2000M just fine:)

Yeah, M2000M is 4Gb version of 960m.

Currently, I can only run Windows XP with this card lol :D I'm working on brining it to some newer windows versions.

Can't run Valley or Heaven - have some kind of error. Mb it's due to me using non-original version of XP (with tuning). But what I can say clearly - it runs so coool. On furmark burn-in temps are 53 max on 50% of fan....

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    XP doesnt support DirectX 11 iirc so that may be your issue. I didnt know it was limited to Windows XP thus far unless of course you forced DirectX11 somehow I cant remember if someone was able to do that besides emulation?

Man Im so excited lol, I plan to get the 965m regardless so I might just buy it and have it shipped to the US ahead of me for July. EDIT: Well might have to change those plans, looks like the 965m 4GB stock is dried up for now lol

5. valuxin

Reputations:
    Idk, unigine lists Windows XP as supported. I believe, that this problem is of my windows custom build.

Yeah, me too lol:) 965m would be a great addition, but no on XP lol:) I wish i'll find the solution and everyone would be happy:)

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    NBR has this problem where I cant rep you again T.T So harsh.

Oh I didnt even think about how you can change the API on Valley to DX9 or OpenGL. But yes, XP would be a hard fit lol, Heck even Win7 would be good for most people but Im sure people will take w/e works over the OS of preference.

965m 4GB is OOS on ebay as well, even though the listing is still up? odd...

7. valuxin

Reputations:
    The weirdest thing is that new GPU runs on super old XP and DOS, but Vista and higher can't do anything... Seems like that anything that familiar with EFI don't want to boot properly.

Om, I hope I solve this:) But still, at least we have a reason to write to support, coz if earlier they could tell us that our hardware can't run new card, now they can't say this:)) I would be good to know where to find non-"for dummies" "tech" support to speak properly.

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yes that is rather odd, Win7 has the same behavior? I think you might be able to bypass the need for EFI just for proof of concept Though not sure how that would work in relation to the m4600 and its bios...

9. valuxin

Reputations:
    Win7 is right between "Vista and higher" - so yes. The problem is that M4600 have a hybrid bios and Dell engineers surely made some mistakes to proper initialize nvidia vBIOS on modern OSes. I'll try to fix that, but don't sure if I. The best thing we can do now - call the dell support in our countries and tell them about GPU problem, that this problem exist for a long time (from 2012) and no one fixed it. Hardware is capable to drive Kepler and newer (as any MXM laptops do, even oldest one lol).

To be honest, even Vista would be nicer than XP:)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah Vista isnt too bad, it just had no vendor support and required more resources than was mainstream at the time of release.

Would probably have more success posting on the Dell forums as customer service reps usually just read scripts unless you heard of that strategy actually getting some headway?