The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Possible GPU upgrade for Precision M4600

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by garmac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    There was also the RX 460 mxm 3.0a but I dont think they are in the wild yet and also were eDP only which basically means no go for our laptop I think...

2. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Petprok
    In 99% of time nowadays there is no difference between branded cards - there is no problem in flashing vBIOS, even from GTX series lol.

Most powerful CUDA capable card that will work 100% is the 2000M. But I guess, it's better for you to go eGPU way until I find the solution to the problem. Or you can use Windows XP - any Quadro with LVDS vBIOS will work (last known is K2200M - it's pretty like the same as M2000M). Or you could grab GTX 965M with almost as twice more cores. But again, until we find the workaround - Windows XP is the only way to use this cards.

Petprok likes this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I just checked the Mobile polaris thread and doesnt seem to be any news on a MXM 3.0a part. Just the Gecube RX 480.

4. valuxin

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've tried to order embedded version of RX460 with naming E9260 from German factory, but it's not easy:) In best case, if I'll do all the documents right, I'll receive it after 4 month. Or if I had some budd in Germany who have any sort of production - I could receive it within a month.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    4 months is killer, and I whine about ordering from China and taking 1 month to arrive lol....though I expected it to be quicker since I am in Korea right now.

These workstation laptops are getting cheap enough to experiment on at the very least. Cant wait to finish school and start picking up the reigns on this hobby.

6. valuxin

Reputations:
    Indeed. I bought mine for $130 with 2860QM, 8Gb and 1000M. Even there was original 180W power supply. The only thing what was wrong with it: BIOS have password lock and display panel was deffective (25% of the screen was black). But for my needs it was a super bargain:)

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its too bad we couldnt get any feedback from the m4700/m6700 thread, unless of course the site isnt giving me notifications

8. valuxin

Reputations:
    Feedback about what?:) If about GPU - anything is fine for them. M6500 and M4500 have no problems too:) It's just us, with this hybrid sBIOS lol.

Petprok likes this.
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Oh you were asking about the ACPI from RWEverything wasnt it?

10. valuxin

Reputations:
    Nvm, I got it a long time ago :D Currently, I'm working with Prema to try out my theory on practice.

Reciever likes this.