The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Test serial 1 of the DELL Precision 7750: Speed first!

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by song_1118, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm sorry that my English is not good. Here is machine translation:
    There are many pictures in the original text, so it's not easy to upload them. Please see the original text:
    https://www.51nb.com/thread-1954923-1-1.html

As mentioned in the announcement a few days ago: as the DELL mobile workstation flagship model of 2020, the Precision 7750 has the highest delivery speed (in the author's many years of pre-emptive purchase history). If you ask the reason, the author privately speculated that, first, the European and American markets may not be fully launched due to the epidemic, so the production capacity of the factory in Kunshan is not under much pressure; Second, the author may not choose the CPU with the highest allocation this time (Intel Core I9-10980HK/Intel Xeon W-10885m), so the manufacturer can immediately produce enough spare parts after receiving orders.
    In short, the author received the Precision 7750 delivered by Zhongyou Logistics on June 23, less than two weeks after the order confirmation on June 10, 2020/06/10 -- the first confirmation of the delivery speed this time!
    101.JPG
    Meanwhile, among the three major PC brands (DELL, HP and ThinkPad) mobile workstations, DELL is once again the first to release in 2020 with the first release speed.
    Of course, as an expensive flagship mobile workstation, the release speed and delivery speed are of little importance -- sometimes the earlier the release, the less time the manufacturer has to develop and test, which can be a disadvantage. And the delivery speed first, it can only satisfy the author's small show off psychology, can help the author to send out the official end user's actual evaluation article in the first time in the world.
    In the author's opinion, as a flagship mobile workstation, the first focus is on its performance, function, reliability and comfort. As you review this article one by one, take a look at what's new and special about the Precision 7750, in addition to being first and delivering first, and what's most important about performance, functionality, reliability, and comfort.

The fuselage appearance
    The outer packing is the same style as in previous years. I will skip it here and take out the body directly from the box. The cover on the screen (side A) is as follows.
    102.JPG
    Left side view, from left to right are two Thunder 3, A USB-A, SC card (smart card) slot. Obviously, compared with the previous generation, there is no gap near the rear of the fuselage where the original radiator grille was.
    103.JPG
    On the right side of the body, from left to right are SD card reader slots, 3.5mm audio composite jack, two one-USB, wedge-shaped safety keyholes, and near the rear of the body, also without the cooling grille.
    104.JPG

In the front view of the camera, except for the battery status indicator on the right side, the bottom and bottom no longer have the previous generation of speaker grille, and there is a small sliding switch in the center of the cover on the screen, which is the physical shielding switch of the camera.
    [​IMG]

In the rear view of the fuselage, the symmetric cooling Windows on both sides are significantly larger than the previous generation, so that the power interface is moved from the right-most position of the previous generation to the left side of the cooling window on the right, while there is no longer A USB-A port in the rear. From left to right, there is A miniDP, an HDMI and an RJ45 wired network card interface.

The bottom view of the fuselage, in addition to the huge cooling duct grille and tags, is discreetly labeled the Precision 7750 near the center.

Note: On the bottom of this Precision 7750, there is no SSD door as shown in the official maintenance manual. For some reason... Pending investigation.
    x01.JPG
    The top cover is opened to reveal the BC surface (the plane where the screen and keyboard are located), and the non-woven fabric with no buffer protection is found in the keyboard area. This seems to be because the Precision 7750 has abandoned the pointing bar system and doesn't have to worry about pinching the screen when the top cover closes.

The Precision 7750 gave me a good slap when I placed my order without pointing -- but I can't change my face, since this time last year, I described the pointing rod of the previous Precision 7740 as follows:
    "Like most mobile workstations, the 7740's mouse is a trackpad + pointer double mouse, both with a solid three-button design.
    The 7740 pointer, or all DELL stylus Pointers, is a piece of furniture that I hate for its comfort. For me, it is a completely normal function, but it has no hand touch.
    Among other things, just by looking at the shape, color and material of the removed pointing cap, DELL can tell that it is completely dealing with the matter above, without beating heart to solve a no problem. The author gave the 7740 a score of 70 for the mouse system (80 for the trackpad system and 60 for the pointer system)."
    The Precision 7750's C-side keyboard, which abandons the pointing lever, looks cleaner, and the area of the touchpad is significantly larger. How it feels in practice remains to be measured.
    Note that the light blue border sticker on the touchpad indicates the built-in NFC sensor location.

On the right side of the C-side palm, is a tag that I selected on purpose: a FIPS fingerprint reader and Intel 10th Core I7. The reason why FIPS fingerprint reader was chosen over the power button is explained later.

Therefore, the power button of Precision 7750 is simply the power button, whose position is integrated with the keyboard, in the upper left corner of the numeric keypad.

Look at Side B: The left and right sides of the screen border are significantly narrower than the previous generation, while the top and bottom widths are not. As you can see from this image, the Precision 7750's speaker position is below a long, fine grille on surface C near surface B -- back to where the M6700 was six years ago.

Camera on the top of the screen: the author deliberately chose not to take the infrared camera model, the reason for the same details.

Flip the camera's physical occlusion switch to the far right, and the dark red color on the camera indicates that the camera is physically occluded, without the use of the tape method used by the founder of Facebook years ago.

Then I got another slap in the face from the Precision 7750's screen-shaft: It looks like a door flip switch, but it doesn't open 180 degrees! The Angle in the figure below is the limit, and the author visually measures about 145 degrees.
    [​IMG]

With an angry mood, close the cover and have a close look at the axle at the back of the fuselage. I wonder why it can't have an Angle of 180 degrees. Even if it is convenient to plug in the cable, it doesn't need to be designed like this.

Even if the cover on the screen achieves a 180 degree Angle of expansion, it will not block the rear heat exhaust outlet.

The Precision 7750 still USES the Same DELL 240W power it had more than a decade ago, and the power interface and parameters remain the same -- a comparison with the ThinkPad mobile workstation's erratic power interface over the years.

And here, right in the center, behind the fuselage, is the logo of Precision, something you learned from the HP ZBook, right?

Turn over the fuselage and look at the bottom again. There is a distinct long strip of bumps at the front and back of the bottom to prevent the D-plane from sticking closely to the placement plane and to ensure that the huge cooling grille at the bottom sucks in the external air.

In the previous generation 7740, there is a cooling grid on the left and right sides, there is a slender pore, with a metal dust network, its role is to assist heat dissipation? Or something else? The following disassembly analysis is required.

From the above image, it can be seen that the Precision 7750 is slimmer than its predecessor.

According to the official parameters, the Precision 7750 is defined as similar to previous models and other brands. The comparison of body size and weight is shown in the table below.
    [​IMG]

Under such thin body strategy, how is its interior layout?
    The author observed the appearance, did not start the initial disassembly immediately.

The author bought M6500 9 years ago and adopted the design that the bottom maintenance hatch cover and battery both support rapid disassembly. By 7710~7740, the battery is built in but can still support rapid disassembly, and the bottom maintenance hatch cover can still achieve rapid disassembly, which is very convenient for the user's maintenance operation.
    Now, with the new slimming strategy, the projector surface of the Precision 7750 has been further reduced and the body periphery has been further rounded. As you can see from the appearance above, the Precision 7750 comes at a cost of getting rid of the pointing lever and not being able to expand the screen cover 180 degrees. There's also a price to pay for disassembly and maintenance: the battery and bottom cover no longer support rapid disassembly -- with eight screw locks.

And in order to take care of the roundness of the body, four screws are installed diagonally:

After removing the 8 screws, it is necessary to open the bottom maintenance hatch cover with the help of plastic skid and operate carefully to remove the hatch cover smoothly and without damage:

It took some time for the writer to remove the hatch cover and put gloves on his hands to finish it successfully (his hands were sweaty due to his nervous mood) :
    [​IMG]
    Bottom maintenance canopy interior view: Near WWAN and WLAN as well as SSD, copper metal plates should be used for cooling.

Detailed product part serial number (DPSN) with production date: 2020/06/03A:

It is noted that the main material used for the bottom maintenance hatch cover is PC-1-(MD+TD)25FR(40)(REC):

A detail was also developed: one side of the previous 7740 was the side cooling window, with black plastic filling modules - is this a waste of space?

Removed bottom maintenance hatch cover for bottom fuselage view:
    [​IMG]

When looking down from the bottom of the fuselage, the part of the video card in the upper left side is shown. The radiator has a huge volume, and the cooling fan has many fine blades. It is hard to tell how many pieces the author has.

The CPU part of the upper right side when looking down from the bottom of the fuselage. Two memory slots in the lower left, DIMM B and DIMM D, are empty -- the two DDR4 3200 16GB memory selected by the author is originally installed on DIMM A and DIMM C below the keyboard.

Looking down from the bottom of the fuselage, WWAN CARDS, WLAN CARDS and four M.2 2280 hard disks -- three of which are in the bottommost left corner and the remaining one above the WLAN CARDS.

When the bottom of the fuselage looks down, the lower right part is the battery compartment, which no longer supports fast disconnection from the motherboard.

It has a slightly lower capacity than the previous generation of 97Wh - 95Wh- which is the price of slimming.

The disconnection mode of the main board is similar to that of the previous generation. It still adopts the soft banded handle, which gives people a fragile feeling:

Take down the black metal shield above the WWLAN card and discover that the Precision 7750 has four WWAN antennas pre-installed. Maybe it already supports 5G? This will be tested later, so stay tuned.

Appearance of part I above said to found the Precision 7750 does not contain the SSD (SSD storehouse Door), feel the SSD, feel is used to complete the image below to support rapid disassembling the SSD, not the SSD, feel the fast disassembling SSD design support, has become a decoration, must remove the eight screws, coupled with the plastic lever to touch this place...
    [​IMG]

On DELL's official website, the system configuration of this Precision 7750 shows "354-BBCM:Bottom back shell... "Door Opening, "I don't know whether this "Door Opening" contains or does not contain SSD Door.
    [​IMG]

The author only selected one NVMe SSD, which is pre-installed in this location. According to previous historical speculation, this Location M.2 2280 should not support M.2 SATA SSD, while the other three can support it. Whether this is true will be verified in the subsequent serial. All four SSD compartments have a fin with preset cooling silicone pads above and below the fin.
    [​IMG]
    Disassemble the SC card slot at the bottom after the maintenance hatch cover -- the official maintenance manual seems to say: if the SC card slot is not installed, remove the 8 screws without the need for plastic skis, you can start to pry the bottom cover directly from this position...

The rear port area

The local picture of the graphics card's radiator, labeled with the sticker "FDX70-110W", indicates that this radiator supports the RTX5000 graphics card which needs 110W power consumption.

Underneath the flat, bulky heat pipe are the various silver rectangular connections that are unique to the DELL DGFF video card module. One of them is not in use -- the same is true of the previous 7740. I suspect that this unused connection may be reserved for more powerful video CARDS, such as RTX 6000...

Observe the heat dissipation panel of the video card from the part supporting rapid dismounting of SSD, and find that the whole light-blue heat dissipation silicone pad has been exposed below:

Here's a strategy for Precision 7750 to slim down: Instead of sitting in the screen frame, the WLAN antenna is positioned where it is now -- near the cooling fans on either side of the machine, where it used to be:

The figure above shows the WLAN antenna on the CPU side (equal to the left side when viewed from Plane C) and the WLAN antenna on the GPU side (the right side when viewed from Plane C) :

On closer inspection, the author also found an interesting place: near the front of the fuselage, near the bottom of the fuselage, there are two silver-white metal plates with strong magnetic force, one of which is located under m. 2 SSD:

There is also one in the corner of the battery compartment. What effect do these two magnetic patch play, The author did not think of, do not know you have ideas is how to think?

When preparing to install the bottom maintenance hatch cover, the author again found that the installation must be careful, with multiple golden metal elastic contacts need to be closely fitted to the bottom cover to ensure that the installation is in place.

The above disassembly and photographing were carried out immediately after the author got Precision 7750 from EMS to take pictures of the appearance of unpacking. It took about 1 hour, and then the pictures and text were edited.
    With serial 1 complete, I can finally start the Precision 7750 and start a new journey!
    Stay tuned for serial 2!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  2. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try Imgur, That can possibly make your life easier

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting your impressions!

SSD door is an optional feature that must be selected at purchase time.

alexhawker likes this.
  4. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for reminding me!
    However, I tried imgur, and the operation was still very cumbersome.

5. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So that's it......

6. defaultname

defaultname Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is strange. Are you sure about that? Because I just checked on Dell's site and it says:

7. Evahum

Evahum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When I placed the order, I chose the SSD door opening. But it looks there is no such option any more. Instead it's default as "Bottom Cover with no Smart Card Door and no SSD Door Opening"

8. Evahum

Reputations:
    In dell's manual, there are two types of fingerprint reader: 1. fingerprint reader on power button. 2. fingerprint reader in the palmrest.
    https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-17-7750-laptop_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

When I placed the order, only under palmrest section there are fingerprint reader options: 1. fingerprint reader. 2. FIPS fingerprint reader. There is no option saying fingerprint on powerbutton. Also as far as I know FIPS is just a standard. I am totally lost. Does anyone have any idea? Does fingerprint reader mean it's on the powerbutton?

9. song_1118

song_1118 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I chose "Bottom Cover with Smart Card and SSD Door Opening" when I placed the order. I just checked the configuration of this 7750 system on DELL's official website, and it was shown as follows: I am sure there should be SSD Door, but I don't know why there is no SSD Door...
    x00.JPG

10. Evahum

Reputations:
    So it looks like something wrong at Dell's end. As I mentioned, I did notice Dell removed the option choosing bootom cover with smart card and SSD door opening.

Do you have a PDF version quote including your laptop information. In my quote, it clearly lists Bottom Cover with Smart Card and SSD Door Opening, which i can use as evidence arguing with them if something wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.