The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Trying to decide between a Vostro 1500 and 1510

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Dewaha, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewaha

Dewaha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm starting college in the fall and I'm looking for a good laptop to start with. Nothing fancy, just need one for possible schoolwork and general Internet/music use. Maybe even some light gaming.

I wanted to get an Inspiron 1520 but Dell took it off their site at the last minute. After reading up a bit more, I've decided to go with a Vostro, not only because of the good things I've heard about it, but due to them still providing Windows XP (until next week, that is). The thing is, I'm still undecided between the 1500 and 1510. While the 1500 is heavier and bulkier, it is cheaper. The 1510 is lighter, but costs a bit more and, according to reviews, the plastic is thinner and feels weaker.

I want to make sure I get the right one. Could I get some opinions on which is better, 1500 or 1510? Many thanks!

2. chelet

chelet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd get the 1500.

3. Just Lou

Just Lou Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I chose the 1500. The only way I'd recommend the 1510 is if the extra 1/2lb or so is going to bother you.

4. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I own a Vostro 1500 and 1700. In fact I bought my Vostro 1500 when Dell released the 1510. I prefer the overall look of the 1500. I've read the reviews on this website pertaining to the 1310 and 1510. Both share something in common they don't feel as sturdy as the 1500. There's flex in certain places of the laptop.

5. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think the 1510 looks better. This is coming from a 1500 owner.

6. Dewaha

Reputations:
    I don't really care about looks, so that's not a factor for me.

7. Jakpro

Jakpro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like the 1500. I checked out a 1510 and it flexed too much for me and I was not impressed with the build quality.

Then again, I had an XPS M1530 that I was not impressed with as far as quality and I returned it. The 1510 is made very similar.

Plus, you should be able to still get the 8600m GT video card for the 1500 and not in the 1510. The 1500 is thicker and heavier, but it is Rhino tough!

8. Dewaha

Reputations:
    I built a 1500, and all it offers is the 8400M. Can I request it or something?

9. Jakpro

Jakpro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just checked it and it looks like Dell has handicapped it with the 8600m GS and the 8600m GT is not showing as an option.

You could try calling and see if it is available, but they are doing that with a lot of their machines to force people into the higher priced machines.

It still shows up on the Tech Specs tab on this page: http://www.dell.com/content/product...4&id=vostronb_1500&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab

10. Dewaha

Reputations:
    would I be missing out on anything if I didn't manage to get the 8600m GT? I thought it would only matter if I got Vista instead of XP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.