The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Use your Latitude and D/port without an AC Adapter

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by rmtschanz, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmtschanz

rmtschanz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just an FYI to the board incase this hasn't been covered before. I recently purchased the D/port and then read that the port is:

A. Not hot dockable
    B. Must be powered by an AC adapter at all times

Well, I can tell you that both of these assumptions are indeed false! I've got a Latitude D820 with XP Pro and I can use the dock without an AC adapter. I only tested DVI without AC plugged in, as it's the only reason I got the dock. I doubt the USB ports work, maybe the other ports do, but I'm not about to test that and risk damaging my laptop. You'll need to quit Dell Quickset to use the dock unpowered by the way.

Also, if the dock is plugged in to AC, you can hot dock by pushing the undock button.

Just thought anyone interested in the D/port should know.

2. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've accidentally done this before, but I do not recommend it. At all.

3. rmtschanz

rmtschanz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you know why? I have been in situations where I need DVI, but am no where near a power outlet. I'm not about to carry an extension cord wherever I go. I can understand if you were trying to use it unpowered with USB and everything else hooked up, but I fail to see the damage in using only DVI or only VGA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.