The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Vostro 1400 Audio Issues

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by bradsh, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradsh

bradsh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    no, its a very distinct problem. i had it on a desktop once too, only fixed by replacing the entire computer. i will try to hook up external speakers through the headphone jack and see if that works.

It drives me crazy enough to want it replaced, because I listen to alot of music. A shame since I got a decent screen and everything else is in nice order.
    How long do I have to get a replacement? i ordered 7/12 but it didnt actually COME until august 3. do I have until september 2 to get a new one shipped out?

2. DTC87

DTC87 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    decent screen? mine is kinda dark lol. i was expecting a brighter screen since its truelift but meh... you cant beat vostro;s price

3. x_xeon_x

x_xeon_x Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If you listen to enough music to make it drive you crazy, I would return it, they should send you a new replacement of the vostro.

4. Gorman018

Gorman018 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're not imagining things. If you have Vista, this is the cause of the snap, crackles and pops. Even for those who do not notice, it is there however slight. It has been a known issue with Vista since it came out - it does not play well with anything audio although both sides of the fence now recognize the problem.

Go to this link:
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_audio&thread.id=35264

Microsoft and Dell are concurrently working on a fix for this issue. Some suggest disabling the "a" band on your wireless card or disabling "audio enchancements". I feel it's more complicated than that and will require a download, most likely in Vista SP1 at the end of the year. Until then, bare with it. You're not alone.

5. bradsh

Reputations:
    I have vista on my desktop and have never had any problem like this, but i once had a windows xp machine with this exact issue....

6. Msl747

Msl747 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I get that, although I don't really notice it...

7. bradsh

Reputations:
    i tried everything on that thread and nothing really helped.... extremely disappointing. i bet this never gets fixed, and they all do it. i wonder if its worth sending it back for?

8. bradsh

Reputations:
    now ive even removed the wifi card and the problem remains... i can't imagine a situation where this IS NOT a problem ALL OF THEM have. I guess I will send it back but i really dont think that will fix anything. they must ALL do this.

9. Michael Wall

Michael Wall Notebook Consultant NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  10. wjdtjdals

wjdtjdals Newbie

Reputations:
    my audio skips also, i have vostro 1400. maybe i should return it also?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.