The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

When will Penryn be available for Dell Business Laptops?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by psmo290, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psmo290

psmo290 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm still considering a D630 or whatever light budget business laptop dell will have around the end of the year. I'm just wondering how long will Dell test-drive the Penryn processors in consumer laptops before putting it in their business class laptops?

2. channelv

channelv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dell always takes a while to put the latest hardware in their business line laptops. I've been checking daily and no updates yet. I am thinking it may take until beginning of March to see Penryn in the Latitudes and Precision laptops.

3. kboyer

kboyer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Our corporate sales rep said he guessed it would be 60-90 days.

4. channelv

Reputations:
    Wow, that's quite a while from now. In fact...from Intel's timeline it seems that Montevina may be just coming out by then already!! (3 months or so)

I think Dell might be just waiting to get rid of Merom CPUs for a while until they start offering Penryn :(

5. wrighton

wrighton Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. xYike

xYike Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That blog is funny ... says "Dell XPS M1730: now with Penryn." under a picture which is obviously NOT an M1730. (unless it is an M1730 from the mid-90s)

EDIT: Wow could I be wrong? Do the 1730s really look that way??? I assumed since the M1330 and M1530s wer eso nice, the 1730s would be too.

7. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, thats the 1730. Its a sweet machine. Remember, it can have 2 hard drives and comes with 2 graphics cards where as the others only can fit one of each.

8. channelv

Reputations:
    Yup that 1730 is based on the Inspiron/Vostro line rather than having its own chassis like the 1330 or 1530.

Anyhow I am thinking end of this month or beginning of March for us to see Penryn in the Latitude or Precision lines...at least I'm hoping so - it sure seems like Dell is not hard pressed or in a hurry at all to release these in those business class machines.

I'm also surprised that Penryn right now tops out at 2.6ghz (save for the x9000). The Penryn should easily hit 3.0ghz with about the same thermal properties as a T7800 with the larger die. But I guess Intel is in no hurry either as they don't have a competitor for high end mobile CPUs.

9. magister

magister Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still waiting for Penryn to be added to the Latitude- come on Dell. Anyone know if they'll be considerably more expensive or about the same price as mentioned with XPS in the linked article? Earlier, I was guessing that Penryn wouldn't be added to Latitude due the rumor of a new Latitude line. However, with this info I need to wait- again.

10. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    I wish they'd add a more powerful GPU option to the Latitude line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.