The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

When will Penryn be available for Dell Business Laptops?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by psmo290, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. channelv

channelv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup Dell is really being slow and boring right now with their business line. ADD THE PENRYN NOW!!!! I think we'll see it starting March. I just may hold out for Penryns to go faster than 2.6ghz as I have a 2.6ghz for quite some time now already.

Unfortunately the GPU option won't be changed until Montevina I'm almost 100% sure. I always do have a glimmer of hope that a better card may be released in the D series and Precision M2300 & M4300 though but I doubt it since the only entry level GPU nvidia has is the G86 based Quadro NVS 140m/135m and Quadro FX 360m. Nvidia just released the Quadro FX 3600m high end laptop workstation graphics but on the low and mid range nothing has changed so I really doubt Dell will change the GPU until Montevina makes them design a new business laptop and mainboard for it.

That being said I think the G86 isn't too terribly bad at all though, just wish it wasn't restricted to 64-bit and was based on the 8400m GT and not the GS.

2. blackadder

blackadder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah Dell needs to speed this up -- they sent a few people penryn D630s two months ago.

Maybe we should start a betting pool on this. I noticed a price drop on the T7800 last week, so based on that and other totally meaningless information my overly optimistic bet is that the D630 gets the penryn on Wednesday.

3. jb1007

jb1007 Full Customization

Reputations:
    I was going to buy a Latitude but for some reason that serial port on the back makes me feel like I'm using a 1990's machine. I know it makes no sense lol.

Latitudes always take longer to implement newer technology but for that reason they are tested thoroughly and are great end products.

4. praneeth

praneeth Sanath Jaya Suriya!!!

Reputations:
    True. There is a reason Dell includes it though. Big corporate fleets like GE always use latitudes because of that serial port. A lot of engineering equipment, generators and such will only interface with the older RS-232 style ports. These are the type of equipment that only gets replaced every 20-30 years. Yes you can use a USB to RS -232 convertor but these are not always compatible with the software/drivers used for generators and such.

It just makes the system more compatible in the general theme of not changing things too quickly for the corporate world. Big changes would need to other larger changes within companies which would resist such changes.

5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. scrhale

scrhale Newbie

Reputations:
    As I mentioned in the other thread ... Penryn is now available in the D630

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And now the Penryn T9300 and T9500 have become available on the Latitude D830 in the USA and Canada.

I recall that an article had said that one would be able to get the T8100 and T8300 by ordering by phone

8. channelv

Reputations:
    Well, Penryn is here for the Business line!!! wooohooo. Unfortunately the GPU is still the same.

9. channelv

Reputations:
    Woooohooooo they;re finally here!! Too bad not GPU update though,

10. blackadder

blackadder Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was only off by 2 days! Now we only have to wait until June 17th for the E series. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.