The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Will the Latitude E-series be XP friendly?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Simic, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simic

Simic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I imagine they may not be shipping out with an option for XP. Should it be fairly easy to dual-boot with XP/Vista or exclusively install XP?

2. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    If Dell provides drivers...

3. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I dont believe they will. It will be for sale after Microsoft discontinues XP for new pc's. Come June, all new pc's will be vista with no xp option.

4. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Of course, it's still at least 2-3 months until the earliest Latitude E actually comes out, maybe you should wait until it's actually released - you might get more accurate answers. What's wrong with Vista?

5. pixelot

pixelot Notebook Acolyte

Reputations:
    Ubuntu...Ubuntu...Ubuntu...Ubuntu...Ubuntu...Ubuntu...

*sways back and forth hypnotically*

:p

6. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    Yes. Apparently, Microsoft won't be letting OEMs sell XP anymore. But most larger companies have get their licenses directly from Microsoft, and they can upgrade whenever they're good and ready... so they'll still need to run XP on these machines for a while. I'd be really shocked if the new Latitudes didn't support XP, or if Dell didn't offer XP drivers for them.

7. Khris

Khris Yes I am better than you!

Reputations:
    I can see Dell offering the XP drivers, but I can't see them outright offering XP with the E Series.

8. SpeedyMods

SpeedyMods Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed, isn't it June that XP will only be available on UMPCs?

Large businesses have volume licensing, so it isn't that big of a problem so long as there are drivers available.

Greg

9. nizzy1115

nizzy1115 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Right, but what im thinking is since dell will not sell them with xp, why would they make the drivers? It probably will happen, but not direct from dell.

10. swarmer

swarmer beep beep

Reputations:
    Because their large-business customers don't use preinstalled OSes anyway... they get their licenses directly from Microsoft and install what they want.

And as long as they need to offer XP drivers for large businesses... there isn't much additional cost in offering the XP drivers to anyone else who wants them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.