The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. NelBro78

NelBro78 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Concerning the power consumptions (SSDs, ram, etc.), I believe these are realistic considerations under heavy load

However, they will of course vary between models/brands

So, do you also agree that we have a tight power margin in this 4K+A5000 7560 case?

Also, what is your view on using a 240W power supply from e.g. the 7760?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It would be hard to fully load every component simultaneously, but it could be done. With "burst" power, the CPU and GPU can exceed the spec for a period of time, causing the power drain to go even higher. (Never mind if you are actually trying to charge the battery while also loading the system.) Previous Precision systems have been shown to dip into the battery for extra power when under high load. Though you can expect throttling in such a situation, the system will perform the best that it can within the power/thermal constraints.
    You can use a 240W power supply without issue, but also without benefit. I usually have one attached to my 7530 (...just because we have so many of them at the office...). In previous 75X0 systems, there has been a very minor benefit when trying this, the system won't go much higher than 180W.

NelBro78 likes this.
  3. rinconmike

rinconmike Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would the power supply from a 7710 work on the 7760 and 7560? It is a 240W. I too have a bunch of them.

4. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes. The newer systems have a new "slim" 240W power supply but the old brick ones still work fine, they are cross-compatible. (I say put the slim one in your travel bag and use the brick ones where the system is stationary, at a desk or whatever...)

NelBro78 and bklawton like this.
  5. zhongze12345

zhongze12345 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The power margin is pretty tight. It's also tight in the 7760 (with a 240 watt charger)
    As long as the connector is the same, it should work. However, the laptop might limit the power so you don't get the full power from it (somebody confirm this, I haven't tried it on these Precisions)

NelBro78 likes this.
  6. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I have a few questions, I am hoping to get your opinions:
    1. Screen quality. I'd like to go with 17.3" IPS FHD, 1920x1080, 60Hz, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 100% DCIP3, 500 Nits, IR Cam/Mic, WLAN

Right now, I have 7510 with 72% screen and I am looking for better quality screen as I also use it for watch netflix, amazon, etc during downtime. I do NOT want 4k, because almost nothing scales (in my workload) appropriately and it burns my eyes.

Here is the machine I am looking, with my comments on the side
    • 11th Gen Intel Core Processor i7-11800H (8 Core, 24MB Cache, 2.30GHz to 4.60GHz, 45W) <--- I am not sure if upgrade is worth extra $180 for 11850h or $350 for rest.
    • 17.3" IPS FHD, 1920x1080, 60Hz, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, 100% DCIP3, 500 Nits, IR Cam/Mic, WLAN <--- seems to be the best bang for the $, ir camera, mic, wlan, etc...
    • M.2 2230 256 GB, Gen 3 PCIe x4 NVMe, Solid State Drive <-- I will install my own 2tb drive
    • Win 10 Home <--- $42 difference, not sure if I will ever notice it, since it's for home use
    • No Windows Auto pilot
    • 180W E5 Power Adapter (EPEAT)
    • 8 GB, 1 x 8 GB, DDR4, 3200MHz, Non-ECC, SODIMM <--- I will upgrade ram on my own, for MUCH less since 64gb is $700 upgrade, when I can get it for 1/2 the cost or even less.
    • Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210 Wireless Card with Bluetooth 5.2
    • No Additional Hard Drive
    • Palmrest Fingerprint Reader, Smart card Reader, & NFC
    • V Pro Disabled
    • 6 Cell 95Whr Long Life Cycle Lithium Ion Polymer Battery (3 Years Warranty) <---- i dont need quick charge as laptop will be plugged in power 99% of the time.
    • NVIDIA RTX A4000 w/8 GB GDDR6 <--- for future proofing
    • Internal Single Pointing Backlit Keyboard, US English with 10 Key Numeric Keypad
    • ProSupport and Next Business Day Onsite Service, 60 Month(s) <-- I don't need next business day, but I also need them to come out, vs mailing laptop somewhere, which I will never do!

People keep referring to getting better prices via edu or other ways. could someone send me info privately? I am not sure... ty vm!

7. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    First of all, that's uncannily similar to what I ordered... and therefore, I would say it's good (obviously depends on what you want to do with it)

On the topic of CPU, they are all 8 cores but there is a noticeable difference between the 11800H nd the i9 11950H. Going off the extremely limited info available, the 10950H is around 10-20% faster in multithread. Single thread performance should be the same unless the extra boost frequency of the i9 is utilized (unlikely to be used frequently, and if the i9 boosts higher, the difference won't be much, somewhere in the ballpark of 5% in a best case scenario.).
    Though the difference is pretty minimal, keep in mind that the CPU is the only thing that can't be upgraded. Literally everything can be upgraded. So if the better CPU can allow you to keep the laptop for one more year, it might be worth it for 350 dollars. I can't tell what the difference between the 11850H and the 11950H is because the difference is minimal. I would expect the 11850H to be in between the 11800H and the 11950H, maybe closer to a 11800H.

I would recommend the i9, but it's a pricey upgrade, though for now, the performance seems to back up the price tag a bit. Considering that you have an expensive GPU, it would be more reasonable to pair it with a very good CPU. However, the i9 11950H is probably overkill with an RTX 3000 and below (unless you need CPU and don't need GPU acceleration at all)

**Please don't hold me accountable for my information, I obtained the numbers by looking at benchmarks from laptops with similar cooling capabilities to the best of my limited knowledge. I used userbenchmark.com
    The numbers regarding how much faster the i9 is might be very off. The i9 might only be 5% faster than the 11800H. However, in the past (10th gen) the i9 has been 10% faster (in total, multithread and single thread) than the 8 core i7. I would expect similar numbers for this generation.

Also note that the 11th gen chips scale pretty linearly with power. By using high quality thermal paste or cooling the laptop by blowing a fan on it or using it in lower ambient temps will help CPU performance significantly. So by spending a bit more money in quality thermal paste and buying a fan to blow air on the laptop, there is the potential to make the 11800H perform almost as good as the 11950H (with stock thermal paste and without a fan blowing on it). However, a fan might not help much with the thermal situation due to the large amount of airflow that already exists due to the large fans. Though on my XPS 15 7590 with much less airflow, using a fan to blow away the hot exhaust air makes it noticeably cooler and faster.

Edu discounts are for students (not sure what counts as a student), and businesses buying in bulk will get discounts.

*******Edit: pretty sure the basic warranty has onsite repairs (according to their chart of warranty options for the Precision. So you might not need ProSupport if you don't need/want next day support. Though considering the small portion of the total cost that it will make up, I would say ProSupport is worth it since having to wait for repairs really sucks.

8. ceasar2k6

ceasar2k6 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for such a detailed reply. I was only curious re edu if those are some special links I may not know.. as you can imagine every $ saved, ... and if i do get that, then maybe worth considering upgrade to the i9 for $350 more..

The thing about warranty, last time I had an issue, they PUSHED and PUSHED hard to mail it in... claiming that this warranty (basic 3 year on site) does not cover them coming out. I will never mail laptop and wait 2 weeks+ for turnaround,, them snooping on my data, and potential for loss or damage... so i figured this 1 will cover me. I don't mind waiting extra 2-3 days, for example.......

If you have any comments re screen, i would def appreciate it, so hard to judge based on just specs...

9. zhongze12345

Reputations:
    I don't have any knowledge on the edu discounts

Based on your experience with warranty, I'm glad I got ProSupport. Mailing my XPS for warranty was a pain and took weeks... glad I have just a few extra laptops...

For the screen, I don't have the 7750/7760, but I do know that the best HD screen (what you chose) should have nearly identical colors to the best 4k option. However, the 1080p screen is only 60hz while the 4k screen is 120hz. If the programs that you use scale poorly with 4k, getting 4k would be a bad option. 4k isn't a must, and if your vision isn't very good, telling the difference between a good 1080p display and a 4k display on a laptop will be challenging.

10. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone know when Dell Canada will start taking orders for the 7760? The sales chat is already closed for the day.