The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision 7560 & Precision 7760 pre-release discussion

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Apr 13, 2021.

1. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm a serious amateur photographer.

In late June I upgraded my Precision 7530 to a Precision 7560. One of my requirements was a wide gamut panel. I ordered the UHD 3840x2160 100% Adobe panel and the NVidia A2000 video card. Dell does not currently offer a panel with those specifications in a Precision 7x60 chassis, apparently due to parts shortages.

I placed my order on June 24th. Dell's estimated delivery date was August 6th. The 7560 arrived on July 19th!

I scale the display in both Windows (175%) and Ubuntu. I've noticed no issues because of the scaling.

Adobe Lightroom, my primary editing tool, reports "basic acceleration" with the A2000. Given my use case, that's good enough. You'll probably want the A3000 or A4000.

I've run PugetBench's Lightroom benchmark on the 7560:
    • With "basic acceleration" graphic coprocessor support (automatically selected): Overall: 975
    • With "full acceleration" graphic coprocessor support (manually selected): Overall: 943.5

2. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Excellent. Thanks for this info.

Yep, those are the two GPUs that I'm considering. I might wipe away my tears and spend the money on a A4000;.

Did you happen to run the PugetBench Lightroom benchmark on your 7530 as well? I've tried to run it many times on my 7730 but it always errors out. I've been so curious to compare how a 7X60 compares to a 7X30 and, say, an M1 Mac Mini.

3. rwzeitgeist

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, by the time I thought about running the PugetBench Lightroom benchmark on my 7530 I'd already reinstalled Windows. Yeah, I regret not running the benchmark on the 7530. I've tried running the benchmark numerous times on my desktop but it always fails with a complaint that a directory doesn't contain the correct number of files.

I just looked in the PugetBench results database and found no results for other Precision 7xxx machines. None of the results for Mac Minis are Lightroom benchmarks, although there are a couple of Photoshop benchmark results.

4. frostbytes

Reputations:
    The benchmark seems very finicky. I haven't had luck running it on my 7730 and my help request on the Puget page of a few months hasn't been answered.

I checked the database yesterday and didn't find anything for the 7xxx line up or the M1 Mac Minis either. Puget's business is building editing machines and consulting on builds, so I'm not surprised that they haven't made it easier to search through the results. Because surely by now 7xxx and M1 Mac Mini users have added to the Lightroom benchmarks database.

5. rwzeitgeist

Reputations:
    I still see no Lightroom results for a Mac Mini.

A new result just showed up for a Dell Precision 7520 with an I7 6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz and a Quadro M1200: the overall score was 584.5.

6. frostbytes

Reputations:
    The 7520 is several generations old now. I wish someone with a 7x60 would run the benchmark.

It turns out Puget doesn't make a Mac version of the Lightroom benchmark, so we won't have a direct comparison until (if) they do.

7. rwzeitgeist

Reputations:
    I expect that 7520's score of 584.5 is only a little below what my 7530 would score had I benchmarked it, and well below my 7560's score of 975.

I'm actually surprised they don't offer a Lightroom benchmark for Apple's gear. I would have thought Apple would be one of their serious competitors. On the other hand developing the benchmark for the Apple versions of Photoshop and Lightroom would be a major effort.

8. frostbytes

Reputations:
    Your 7560 is significantly faster. Which GPU do you have?

They do have a Mac version of the Photoshop benchmark, but not the LIghtroom benchmark.

9. rwzeitgeist

Reputations:
    I have the A2000, which for my use case is adequate.

With the A2000 Lightroom Classic automatically enabled basic GPU acceleration. Benchmark performance actually dropped from 975 to 943.5 when I manually configured full acceleration. Obviously Lightroom performance would improve with a better GPU.

10. frostbytes

Reputations:
    Interesting. I would have expected performance to improve.

My 7730 only has a Radeon Pro WX 4150. I've been eying an A4000 on a 7760 as a replacement.