The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is no comparison between the M17x r1/r2. This machine is much faster in every way. The R4 would be a closer comparison.

The gap on the back is not a gap. It is the space that the screen hinge rotates in. It is sealed. There are no wires or electronics visible or accessible through the gap.

EDITED - Thank you for showing respect for the photos other people take. I know I had initially been suprised that you used one of my photos, but you used it to ask a question and state your question. Feel free to use any of my other pics in asking questions.

2. appomo

appomo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    do you have the rgb ips panel?!
    i thought its able to cover 100 percent of adobe rgb...or are you talking about the "normal" UltraSharp™ FHD(1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit Premium Panel?

3. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was talking about the yet to be released touch panel.

The RGBLED backlit IPS panel more than covers 100% of Adobe RGB and NTSC.

4. tommyxv

tommyxv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I picked up the Everki 18.4" Titan back pack for my M6600. I love this bag. It's my traveling office. I also have a soft cooler inside one compart my for my lunch... :)

IMG_0243.jpg

5. DGDXGDG

DGDXGDG Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    im saying the cpu heatsink, m64/5/6000 all two thin pipe, m6700 finally thick+thin pipe
    thats a problem? deleted anyway......

6. Asleep

Asleep Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As always, very useful information, Bokeh!

MustSpreadRep.

7. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gotcha - now it makes sense.

Also, the fact that you would delete a pic when the original person asks about it means you respect copyright :). Feel free to post the pic again. Feel free to use any of them in asking questions.

Sorry to be so short about it. Many of the pics from my M6600 review were used all over the web without permission.

So how did you break the M6400 video card bios?

8. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, I wonder why they would do such a thing? To me it sounds like a possible compromise solution to be able to support both Optimus and IPS screen (e.g. to upscale Intel's 8 bit color to 10 bit through some processing unit), but they don't support Optimus at all (i.e. not even on non-IPS screens like Dell does). So, you lose some color precision and gain nothing in return (apart from a lower manufacturing price?)? Interesting design decision..

Great review, BTW. Thanks a lot. The M6700 has so many detail improvements that I didn't expect (don't like the grille design above the keyboard, though).

I hope you can add a side by side photo of the open laptops next to each other. I get the impression that the inside color has been changed on the M6700 and it looks closer to the M6400 (which I prefer) than to the HP 8740W as I found the M6600 palmrest and keyboard color/design.. Probably I'm wrong, though..

Time to start saving for one with the K5000M and a IPS or 3D screen (unless some 7970M FirePro variant comes into play with Enduro supported as it certainly can't match Nvidia's power savings rates).

BTW, M6600 introduced the PageUp/Down keys next to the arrow keys which I find very convenient, but I wish they also served as home/end in combination with the FN key (e.g. as my Acer has it) as I find it very useful while programming. Is there any way to add such a function to these keys via Dell Control Point software (I never installed it on the M6400 as I've read that it's a resource hog).

9. WaNaWe900

WaNaWe900 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice.. Mine using Deuter Giga Flat 17" and so far it's fit enough for all my office use ;)

10. MikeBR

MikeBR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To Bokeh,
    I've read on a site that the ten finger touch / pen display will be by Wacom, and not by n-Trig. Is that correct? I couldn't find the information on any other site. It would be icing on the cake. I've read that the Wacom system is much better than the n-Trig system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.