The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Dell Precision M6700 Owner's Review

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Bokeh, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    don't mean to hijack the thread ... but why ? not being a smart a$$ or troll right now just an honest question ? i was always told that Nvidia drivers are more robust - isn't that what really counts ?

2. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I too would like to see this. My holy grail Windows box has the durability, specs, versatility, and support of a mobile workstation, but with a consumer GPU. Lots of us pros do CPU- or RAM-bound work (e.g. VMs or DAWs), then game when we get home. If this were allowed, however, probably many of the pros who actually ought to use Quadros would instead buy the cheaper Geforce cards. (I don't know, does Autocad or whatever work with a consumer card?) Regardless, games seem to work fine on the pro cards, so I just pay the Quadro tax and move on.

3. Krane

Krane Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Most likely cooling. A direct function of the laptop design.

Then you've nearly made your choice. Take the "red" sports car.
    Yes, but not certified for it. For all intents and purposes, it probably wouldn't make a difference.
    Of course you can game on a Quardro and likely get 9/10 the performance. However, for renders, the reverse would prove extremely hazardous.

Therefore, that idea would never work, and you've most succinctly stated why. Besides, part of the reliability these workstation provide come by way of the extensive their testing with the listed products.

4. iieeann

iieeann Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the useful info. Can older generation M4600/6600 use the new dock with USB 3.0 enabled? Older and Newer models use different USB controller.

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Never had any problems with AMD drivers, but I had quite a few green ones fail on me. Nvidia would charge 2x for the card of similar or less performance.

6. Bokeh

Bokeh Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On the M6700, the USB 3.0 is on the motherboard. On the M6500 and M6600, it was on a daughterboard. I would highly doubt that the USB 3.0 would work unless the machine has the newest IVY Bridge chipset. Intel delayed USB 3.0 for a very long time.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would like to know about that to. On their website, under compatibility for the dock, it says only M4700 and M6700. But it would be nice to have reliable confirmation on that.

8. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i can believe this ... and yet most still buy nvidia ... so there must be a reason no ?

9. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    The reason is in extra certifications and features like CUDA, Physx, etc. But if I don't need those, why should I pay such a huge premium for the same or lower performance? If only the 7970m could work with the IPS panel...that would close the deal for me for sure. Worst case, the M6000 will suffice :)

10. g1981c

g1981c Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    quick question: supposedly with Alienware if you change components ( like install your own SSD ) that doesn't void the warranty. is that the same with the M6700? if i have a problem with blue screens or whatever and the tech finds a Samsung 830 SSD in there is he going to tell me to go screw myself ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.