The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

E6540 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Turnbull2000, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simmytu

Simmytu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quite odd, this might explain why I couldn't install Windows 7 using legacy boot mode. About that Linux thing, I'll keep running Windows :p
    I'm curious to know if you've done any modifications for your E6540 to keep the cpu and gpu running cool.

2. zogthegreat

zogthegreat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I run Linux so it requires less system resources! ;)

I don't have the ATI graphics on my system, so my i7-4800 is the only thermal source. Unless I'm compiling something, my system runs around 45c, under full load, I can go up to 95c. I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Thermal-Grease-Paste-1-0-Gram/331809847597), on my E6540 and I'm using IC Diamond, (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovation...ms-Thermal-Compound-Paste-Grease/170912449863), on my M4800 with an i7-4810 and I get similar results. If your have heat issues, the best thing to do is take a small drill bit and drill holes on the bottom cover where the fan intakes are, (REMOVE THE COVER FIRST!! ;)). Dell really messed up on the cooling on the E6540's, they really don't get enough air. When I did this to my 6540, my temps drop about 10c.

3. Simmytu

Reputations:
    To be frank Dell hasn't thought through the cooling aspect of the E6540. The air has to bend 180 degrees to enter the chassis and then bend another sharp 90 degree turn into the fan, all of this bending consumes momentum and the single small fan can't do much on its own. In short; precisely not the thing to do to keep an 4810 and Radeon chip running cool, and from reading this forum more people came to the same conclusion.
    I had tried different thermal compounds and have ended up using liquid metal, that has solved the inadequate cooling part a bit and also using a 9 cell battery with a raised bottom does improve the airflow a bit. Drilling holes does indeed work best in combination with liquid metal.

4. Simmytu

Reputations:
    Quick question. I can't seem to install the driver and firmware update for Dell ControlVault using the software package provided for my E6540. Is this a known issue for these Broadcom USH boards?

5. TheRobster5555

TheRobster5555 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I recently acquired one of these E6540's from a local college surplus store, but when I ran the service tag, it came back as being manufactured in March of 2017. The manufacture date on the optical drive seems to back this up as having a manufacture date of December 2016. I would like to know if any of you have seen one that may be newer, if not, I guess I get to say I have the newest E6540, even though that claim is practically meaningless :p (Also the manufacture date of 2017 means I still have a warranty :D)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  6. igor_ischuk

igor_ischuk Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to configure two UP3216Q displays on Dell Latitude E6540 docked on an E-Port Plus port replicator connected via DisplayPort cables.
    I understand that E6540 does not have DisplayPort.

Dell Latitude E5540 does not have DisplayPort also. But two external displays could be configured on E5540 docked on an E-Port Plus port replicator connected via DisplayPort cables according to this article https://www.dell.com/support/articl...-notebook-with-intel-hd-4x00-graphics?lang=en

Please, advice. Thanks and have a nice day!

#Post_190524_0816#190524_0814_DisplayPort#E6540_Review#Grs_AppE65Rev_190519_1152

7. fenton

fenton Newbie

Reputations:
    I just procured one of these, and would like to add a fingerprint reader. Looking on ebay for palmrests with fpr's built-in, I see two different kinds-- looks like swipe vs press. Is there one that is better than another? Or am I oversimplifying it and I need to go with one over the other based on which model/other features it has?

8. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can definitely connect 2 external displays through DisplayPort if you have the dock that supports that.

You'll need the dock that supports USB 3 (ie: blue ports) to get the DisplayPort 1.4 that's required for 4K. Even then, I'm not 100% sure that 4K@60Hz is supported through the dock. I will have my hardware in late January and will be able to verify (with my end-of-the-line E6440).

9. TheRobster5555

TheRobster5555 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 6540 with the press finger print reader, and I've never gotten it to work properly after owning it for nearly a year, I've even had Dell replace it under warranty (mine was made in 2017 oddly enough) and it still didn't work. I also have a D630 with a swipe reader, and it works rather well. I'd go for the swipe.

10. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As long as you get the latest E-Port replicator, one with the blue USB ports, shouldn't be a problem. I run a U2718Q on my E6440 in combination with a WUXGA (1920x1200) screen. And the E6540 does not have the dreaded MST hub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.