The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Forums closing at the end of January - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by mdsurveyor, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:10 AM.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I will run it overnight and let you know...
    Started a "real" run just now, going for about 10 minutes, it has accumulated about 60 MB, just trawling through threads with no end in sight.

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Would you mind sharing what you are using? Honest curiosity, it's not something I ever thought to consider before.

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I am using WinHTTrack which I have used to create static copies of sites before.

In the end, it's a no go. I started getting these errors after less than 30 minutes. This would be from TechTarget's F5 firewall which has detected "suspicious activity" and started blocking all requests. (I got through about 20 pages of threads, a few hundred of them; only the first few pages of really long threads, though, before it cut off. The Dell section has over 3000 pages of threads on the thread lists.)
    [​IMG]

I'll have to go for downloading just some specific threads, I guess.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022 at 9:23 PM
  4. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I get this error too if I refresh too many times or if I'm digging through a bunch of pages.

5. Dell-Mano_G

Dell-Mano_G Company Representative

Reputations:
    Let me know where everyone is moving so I can move over also.

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Ok thanks for sharing.

Guess we will need to stick to the stickies and bios mod links / guides. That will also take a long time but its better than nothing as long as we issue credit to those that originally made them.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I will make sure to share with you directly via PM what the status is, a few days before the close.

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I did a bit better but there isn't w o
    Sounds like you'd have to throttle the download process a bit.
    One problem with downloading subsections of the forum is that the thread layout is not hierarchical, so it would be hard to constrain the download other than by going thread by thread...

9. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Yeah, I had it working so that it would download the three "Dell" forum lists plus linked threads. It would spill over to threads from other forums only if they were linked directly from the Dell threads. Since there isn't that much cross-thread linking I did not see that as a huge issue. The issue is basically the TechTarget firewall block.

HTTrack re-writes link URLs to be local while downloading so that you can hop from page to page and hit your local copy instead of the online one. However for this to work you need to remove this bit of HTML from the top of each page. Otherwise, it will continue to hit the online version when you click a link in the offline copy.
    Code:
    		<base href="http://forum.notebookreview.com/" />
    		<script>
    			var _b = document.getElementsByTagName('base')[0], _bH = "http://forum.notebookreview.com/";
    			if (_b && _b.href != _bH) _b.href = _bH;
    		</script>
    ...I think that I'm just going to go thread-by-thread. I'm mostly interested in the various Precision model "owner's threads" and some specific issue threads (GPU upgrade stuff in particular). I will share the static copies online.
    I'm still planning to go forward with setting up the Precision subreddit unless there is broad buy-in for another forum to switch to, and it has manufacturer-specific sections like we have here. (Or even better would be if we manage to get the current forum transitioned properly... but that would require support from the current owners.)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022 at 7:41 AM
    ctorange and etern4l like this.
  10. unnoticed

unnoticed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm pretty much doing the same thing but with MetaProducts Offline Explorer.
    Yes you have to throttle the amount of connections and timeout or it will lock me out with a 403 for around 45-60 minutes

But I'm just archiving the threads I have been contributing to