The Notebook Review forums were hosted by TechTarget, who shut down them down on January 31, 2022. This static read-only archive was pulled by NBR forum users between January 20 and January 31, 2022, in an effort to make sure that the valuable technical information that had been posted on the forums is preserved. For current discussions, many NBR forum users moved over to NotebookTalk.net after the shutdown.

Forums closing at the end of January - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by mdsurveyor, Jan 18, 2022 at 10:10 AM.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    One a minor note, if anyone is using the command line version of httrack, there is a problem with the sed I posted in that it attempts to postprocess all files, not just html. A bit of extra scripting is involved to counter that, in case someone is interested.

2. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Someone please give me a link to the GUI version of HTTRACK, I have never used this software and would like to save few threads of LG Gram.

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Grabbing all images at this point takes a lot of extra time - can be always done later, disabling.

@RS4 First search hit (httrack.com)

4. 84Lion

84Lion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This was a "big gulp" moment for me as I cannot say how many times I came to this site in search of information. Happy to provide whatever meager help I could. Sure hope at least the Precision threads can be archived as there is a wealth of knowledge there, especially for those of us still using the Precision M6X00 series. Will have to review this thread in detail to see where it's all going...looks like Aaron (our guru!) is working on a migration/archive. That's awesome, hope it can be done!

5. 98ohyeah

98ohyeah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think a lot of people would be open to helping financially to get a new site underway and have the data migrated over. Count me on on that.

etern4l likes this.
  6. blacktape

blacktape Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  7. SamirD

SamirD Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great to see an archive attempt being done--there should be a dedicated thread for this.

I have 6x isp accounts and almost 100 computers that can help with this task if there is a way. I just need detailed instructions

8. John Carlson

John Carlson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. SergioLeone

SergioLeone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First of, thanks for the work you're doing!
    I've been thinking to get the Precision section myself, but if you're doing that already I don't see much point in duplicating that information and increasing the load on the forum for nothing.

Some things in the Windows section are certainly very valuable. I'm not much of a Windows user, but I have it running on dual-boot along with Ubuntu and I've browsed through that section during initial Win10 installs. The threads like "Windows 10/11 Tweaks and Fixes", "Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide", for example, are priceless for anyone who uses Windows, IMO.

Do you know if a place has been decided where all of this will end up eventually?